05-20-2020

US

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 31 of 42

Re:P520c bios Update problem

2020-05-28, 15:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was on the phone with Lenovo and they told me to call Microsoft. I was on the phone with Microsoft for like 3 hours until i said screw it and went home. I left my computer running and came into the office after the 4 day weekend and it was magically activated.

Options

4644 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3459 Signins

48335 Page Views

• Views: 48335
  • Message 32 of 42

2020-05-28, 15:47 PM

Glad to hear it's working at least.  It would be odd for a FRU motherboard to go out without the correct marker file(s) in place, so I'm glad that wasn't the issue.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

5 Posts

05-20-2020

US

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 33 of 42

2020-05-29, 13:38 PM

So I go and reboot the computer and get an error about the CPU fan. I opened up the PC and noticed that the CPU fan was installed backwards (blowing towards the front of computer) and plugged into dimm fan1 instead of cpu_fan. I opened another P520 computer we have to compare and make sure. I turned it around and plugged it into CPU fan and that error is gone but when I start up the computer I am now getting "Error 0135 Dimm Fan1 failure." Do I need to reset BIOS or something? It looks like BIOS was updated too because it looks totally different so im not sure if i should restore all to default or not. I wish i would have replaced the motherboard myself now.(same reason why I dont let people work on my car haha) Thanks for your help psuturtle. 

Options

28 Posts

04-04-2015

Belleville Illinois

20 Signins

121 Page Views

• Views: 121
  • Message 34 of 42

2020-07-07, 7:50 AM

The subject download that was supposed to update the bios of my month-old P520 workstation initiated the update but, after some minutes of nothing apparent happening, closely-spaced pairs of beeps started repeating every few seconds and flashes of what may be an indicator of disk operation started repeating about every 10 seconds.  I Googled "Lenovo bios update" and came upon something that said those take about an hour so was not initially concerned when the beeps and flashes continued.  But they now have been going on for 5 hours so somehow the bios update has crashed and locked up my system.  Nothing has ever appeared on either of my two displays since the download started that I have noticed although I've not been in sight of them much except for the first half hour.

All of the recommended Windows updates previously were downloaded and installed; no Lenovo updates aside from the bios update were indicated as pending; and all applications were closed before starting the bios update.  

I am going to bed now but hope by morning you can tell me what to do to fix this inexplicable and inexcusable failure.  Something like this should not happen, but from the previous comments, apparently it has been happening to some number of users going back at least a year and a half.

Options

86 Posts

07-14-2015

US

217 Signins

1552 Page Views

• Views: 1552
  • Message 35 of 42

2020-07-07, 11:07 AM

Since this is a brand new system that would be under warranty, the best thing you can do at this point is to contact Lenovo support and open a case for your problem. That should get you the quickest possible access to the support you need to get this resolved quickly - it should be much faster than trying to work out the specifics of your problem here on the Forum. I am also going to alert the support team to this problem in an attempt to raise awareness.

Options

4 Posts

08-12-2015

US

24 Signins

202 Page Views

• Views: 202
  • Message 36 of 42

2020-07-07, 18:00 PM

Look back in this thread to June 2019 and you should see my report of the BIOS update bricking my new (at the time) P520c.  After some discussion (and help from Lenovo techs on this forum) I was able to return the useless machine and have it replaced.  And I blocked all BIOS updates in System Update, not trusting anything posted there.

Options

28 Posts

04-04-2015

Belleville Illinois

20 Signins

121 Page Views

• Message 37 of 42

2020-07-07, 22:27 PM

It took two hours of impediments avoidable with better site design to even get a Support phone number, and another two hours waiting for a response on a ticket a message on that line said I had to complete to get help but which  never came before I tried calling the so-called "Premier" support number again and this time held past the message before, by then, to my surprise, I actually got to talk to a tech.  Bottom line, despite an extended effort, he was unable to resolve the problem and put in for a service call on site.  Then I got a confusing text message that was unclear whether I had to reschedule the call or not due to coronavirus concerns actually inapplicable to me.  So whether anyone will show up I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

That this bios update problem has been known about for at least 18 months and not yet resolved is almost unbelievable and certainly unacceptable.  To solve it, being eligible for Premier Support and all, I would have though I could go to the Lenovo Website; find a support line in no more than two minutes; call that number; and be talking with a tech within a few more minutes.  But no!  It took hours of frustration and wasted time before I could.  Lenovo, I would say, has totally dropped the ball on this, both on the bios update fail itself and what one had to go through to even begin to get help on it.

Options

1 Posts

07-08-2020

CA

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 38 of 42

2020-07-08, 5:34 AM
Just bricked my machine through vantage tool. Brand new machine, first update was the bios update nothing else was done to the system. Now computer is stuck on lenovo splash screen permanently. Cannot enter bios, cannot boot to any drives or devices, tried to do boot block recovery with jumpers set... nothing
Options

86 Posts

07-14-2015

US

217 Signins

1552 Page Views

• Views: 1552
  • Message 39 of 42

2020-07-08, 16:09 PM

Hi lnvm,

As I posted to the previous user yesterday, please open a support case with Lenovo since this is a new system. Go to https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ and click on the Contact Us button partway down the page. I realize that dpluna had a lot of headaches in the process of opening a case, and I have reported that back through to our support team, but this should be the quickest way to resolve a hang condition like this on a new workstation.

Additionally, your issue may or may not be related to the hang issue raised earlier in this thread. I say this because when this issue first arose at the beginning of 2019, I'm pretty sure that none of the "hung" systems had any video -- they only emitted a couple of beeps and then hung without syncing video with the monitor. That being the case, can you give me some more details on your system and the actual mode of failure?

What components are in your system? If you post your MTM (but NOT your serial number), I can look this up internally.

Can you tell me about your Lenovo Vantage update process? eg. Did the Lenovo Vantage update kick itself off automatically or did you initiate it?

At what point during the Lenovo Vantage BIOS update process did your system hang? Had it rebooted? If so, did it hang on the first reboot?

What exact steps did you take in your attempt to perform a boot block recovery?

Options

28 Posts

04-04-2015

Belleville Illinois

20 Signins

121 Page Views

• Message 40 of 42

2020-07-10, 17:50 PM

Not the next day as it should have been but the day after that, yesterday (the first day he could), a Lenovo Premier service rep showed up at the appointed time and went to work, replacing the motherboard with some difficulty but persistence until he got that done; and then downloading the bios update, this time, not from Lenovo but, somehow, Microsoft.  Then he encountered some problem in inputting the serial number and machine type but, again, with persistence, he got that done; rebooted the machine several times; and by the end, restored it to full working order.  Aside from my having to reregister the license for the Microsoft Office 2019 software on my hard drive (due to the parts replacement I assume) everything on the machine, including AutoCAD, was still there and accessible as before without further intervention.  

So after three days of downtime and easily a day of my time dealing with it, everything now is back to where it should have been no more than a few minutes after initiating the bios update from Lenovo that failed so disastrously.  The only issue now is that the fan is running much harder than before and I'll have to waste yet more time and no doubt experience yet more frustration in getting Lenovo to resolve that problem.

For whatever interest it may be, I bought my first computer, an IBM PC AT, in 1986, and later, in succession, a PS-2 95; an IntelliStation E Pro; and IntelliStation Z Pro; then, after IBM PC's acquisition, a Lenovo ThinkStation D30; and now the P520c; plus three IBM and two Lenovo ThinkPads, the latest, an X1 Carbon  Until now, over those 34 years and 11 machines, the only failures I ever experienced were the 30MB (yes, MB) hard drive on the AT (but with a blue-screen advance warning that it was going); and, after three years or so, the display on one of the ThinkPads.  Until now, that remarkable brand loyalty has been warranted and rewarded.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete