Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

04-28-2021

Bolivia (Plurinational State of)

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 4

P620 Workstation - m2. socket drive size limit?

2021-04-28, 16:42 PM

Hi,

I would like to install a 8TB drive to my Lenovo P620 workstation's m2. second socket.

This is the drive I would like to install: Sabrent Rocket Q 8TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD Solid State Drive (SB-RKTQ-8TB) | SB-RKTQ-8TB

The problem is that documentation regarding the Lenovo P620 states this:

Storage Support Up to 5x 3.5" SATA HDD + 9x M.2 SSD
• 3.5" HDD up to 4TB each
• M.2 SSD up to 2TB each

Here you can find the documentation where I took that from: ThinkStation_P620_Spec.pdf (lenovo.com) 

I already have installed a 14 TB Seagate 3.5 " HDD and a 4 TB 3.5" Lenovo HDD on my P620 and they are both working perfectly. This contradicts what's stated on the spec sheet but it would seem that the spec sheet only provides info as of the maximum specification one can get when buying from Lenovo's website.

I would like to know if the Sabrent 8TB SSD drive would work with the Lenovo P620.

Can anybody tell me if it will work? Has anybody placed a larger than 2 TB drive on the P620's m2. socket?

I hope someone can give me a hand with this.

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Options

5075 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3620 Signins

50745 Page Views

• Views: 50745

Re:P620 Workstation - m2. socket drive size limit?

2021-04-28, 17:08 PM

You're correct in that our specs tend to document devices that we have fully tested and officially qualified on the platform.  This is why it appears support is limited to 2TB drives in the M.2 NVMe space.  That's not to say that other retail devices wouldn't necessarily function...just that we can't possibly go out and test everything that's out there.

Larger M.2 NVMe drives are certainly possible, as at a high level we're not doing anything in the design to actively limit support to a max of 2TB drives.  However one word of caution specific to M.2 NVMe design is that P620 is currently only capable of supporting drives that are "single sided"...meaning all components installed to the top side of the PCB.  From what I've seen, many vendors that are currently achieving capacities >2TB are doing do by using dual sided drives.  The height of the onboard M.2 connectors on P620 will not support these types of drives.  Same can be said for our current single M.2 NVMe add-in card,  and Quad M.2 NVMe adapter.

I'd definitely recommend checking this before making a purchase.  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

5075 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3620 Signins

50745 Page Views

• Views: 50745
  • Message 2 of 4

2021-04-28, 17:08 PM

You're correct in that our specs tend to document devices that we have fully tested and officially qualified on the platform.  This is why it appears support is limited to 2TB drives in the M.2 NVMe space.  That's not to say that other retail devices wouldn't necessarily function...just that we can't possibly go out and test everything that's out there.

Larger M.2 NVMe drives are certainly possible, as at a high level we're not doing anything in the design to actively limit support to a max of 2TB drives.  However one word of caution specific to M.2 NVMe design is that P620 is currently only capable of supporting drives that are "single sided"...meaning all components installed to the top side of the PCB.  From what I've seen, many vendors that are currently achieving capacities >2TB are doing do by using dual sided drives.  The height of the onboard M.2 connectors on P620 will not support these types of drives.  Same can be said for our current single M.2 NVMe add-in card,  and Quad M.2 NVMe adapter.

I'd definitely recommend checking this before making a purchase.  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

04-28-2021

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2021-04-28, 19:08 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

I'll look for a lower TB alternative drive that is "single sided".

Options

3 Posts

04-28-2021

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2021-04-28, 19:36 PM

Would this drive be compatible?:

980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 2TB Memory & Storage - MZ-V8P2T0B/AM | Samsung US

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms