Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

06-16-2012

United States

23 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 1 of 4

P620: how to make a FreeDOS or equivalent bootable USB drive

2021-03-31, 18:18 PM

Has anyone made a FreeDOS or equivalent bootable USB drive that the P620 recognizes?

I have used https://rufus.ie/en_US/ for many years to make a bootable FreeDOS USB stick to run old firmware update tools for PCIe cards that I use.

For some reason, the FreeDOS bootable USB sticks I made with Rufus are not detected by the Thinkstation P620 I have.   I have disabled Secure Boot.  The USB: device is blank in BIOS setup and does not appear in F12 boot list.  However, other bootable USB sticks like Ubuntu Live or Clover are detected and show up in F12. 

Answer
Options

8950 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77737 Signins

2225250 Page Views

• Views: 2225250

Re:P620: how to make a FreeDOS or equivalent bootable USB drive

2021-03-31, 19:10 PM

Hi,

Some guesswork on my part since I don't have such a machine: FreeDOS is only bootable in legacy mode.  Per the online BIOS simulator and Lenovo's bulletin about legacy removed from recent machines, you're out of luck.

Ubuntu and the like boot because they're UEFI bootable.

It's possible there's some way to boot or chainload FreeDOS in UEFI mode, but The Google isn't turning up anything :(

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

8950 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77737 Signins

2225250 Page Views

• Views: 2225250
  • Message 2 of 4

2021-03-31, 19:10 PM

Hi,

Some guesswork on my part since I don't have such a machine: FreeDOS is only bootable in legacy mode.  Per the online BIOS simulator and Lenovo's bulletin about legacy removed from recent machines, you're out of luck.

Ubuntu and the like boot because they're UEFI bootable.

It's possible there's some way to boot or chainload FreeDOS in UEFI mode, but The Google isn't turning up anything :(

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

10 Posts

06-16-2012

United States

23 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-03-31, 19:14 PM
Thanks for the explanation.
Options

127 Posts

07-14-2015

United States of America

252 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Views: 1907
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-04-05, 10:54 AM

I'm glad your issue was resolved with guidance from the above posts. Let us know if you have any further issues.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms