United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 3

P700 with LSI/Avago 9364-8i RAID inconsistent behaviour

2021-02-23, 11:23 AM

I have a P700 with the BCA and LSI 9364-8i RAID card. For one reason or another, the system keeps loosing access to the LSI card and it's become impossible to use the RAID drives consistently.

My feeling is that the fault lies in the BIOS because I can do odd things, like enabling and then disabling the SATA, and then the BIOS will see the LSI card. Also when things work it takes about 40 seconds to POST otherwise it's more like 15 seconds.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version (A5KTA8A) and when I was able to access the card, I also did a firmware update on it via the MegaRAID Storage Manager to 24.21.0. (See attached photos)

But still the system is incosistent and once the card is not seen by the BIOS it refuses to see it again (until I enable and then disable something).

The LSI card says it's in optimal condition and the card is always seen by the PCIe system diagnotics.

On Windows, when the card doesn't work the driver complains with: "device can not start (code 10)" .

On Linux, dmesg prints:

[    9.206319] megaraid_sas 0000:04:00.0: BAR:0x1  BAR's base_addr(phys):0x00000000d3300000  mapped virt_addr:0x0000000078944652
[    9.206322] megaraid_sas 0000:04:00.0: Waiting for FW to come to ready state
[  245.676583]  megasas_init+0xd9/0x1000 [megaraid_sas]
[  249.519722] megaraid_sas 0000:04:00.0: FW state [0] hasn't changed in 180 secs
[  249.519725] megaraid_sas 0000:04:00.0: System Register set:
[  249.519812] megaraid_sas 0000:04:00.0: Failed to transition controller to ready from megasas_init_fw!
[  249.519832] megaraid_sas 0000:04:00.0: Failed from megasas_init_fw 6406

Again I know the card is there because lspci prints:

04:00.0 RAID bus controller: Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS-3 3108 [Invader] (rev 02)

I have noticed that there are lots of setting for the PCIe subsystem in the BIOS, I am wondering if they need tweaking...

Can anyone shine any light on this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Options

4921 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3561 Signins

49895 Page Views

• Views: 49895
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:P700 with LSI/Avago 9364-8i RAID inconsistent behaviour

2021-02-24, 14:21 PM

Can you explain the specific "SATA" setting that you're enabling/disabling to try to resolve this?

I'm assuming when you're doing this (from within BIOS), the system is rebooting.  That presents another variable since the system is essentially going through POST again each time that enable/disable happens.  I'm sort of curious if the reboot process is simply what's bringing the card back online.

We might need to differentiate between being seen by BIOS and being seen by the OS.  At a barebones level, if the card isn't enumerated by BIOS, then there's no way the OS will see it.  It's certainly possible the card is dropping off the PCIe bus completely at some point after POST (that's a guess based on the symptom).  That can be challenging to figure out if that's actually happening at a user level, especially if a reboot brings the card back.

One suggestion I might make is to consider doing a test run with Windows.  I know that's not ideal, but it might help isolate it between a card/BIOS/HW issue versus a driver/SW issue.  Also, which version of Linux are you running?

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

5 Posts

12-30-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:P700 with LSI/Avago 9364-8i RAID inconsistent behaviour

2021-02-24, 21:31 PM

Thanks for your reply psuturtle!

The SATA config I changed was the PCH sSATA Configuration, where I would enable then disable the controller. (To be clear this doesn't always fix the problem, it's only worked once.)

The reason I think it's a BIOS issue is because the OS and the system diagnostics always see the card, but the BIOS doesn't.

My guess is that the card never drops off after POST. I think this because I can tell if the card will be working because POSTing takes longer. If the POST takes longer, the card is seen in both the BIOS and the OS.

You say "if the card isn't enumerated in BIOS there's no way the OS will see it", however that's not what I've noticed.

Even if the card doesn't show up on the Advanced tab of the BIOS, the OS will see it and be able to tell me information about it. Also the Diagnostics tool (F10) will invariably be able to see it. However if the BIOS doesn't see it then I can't actually use the RAID controller.

I am running both Windows (10) and Linux (Manjaro) on the machine, so can do any tests you think will highlight something. However, on Windows I can't do anything with the card as the I get the "driver cannot start (error 10)" message from the driver.

The current state of the machine is that I can't access the card, rebooting certainly doesn't help! However rebooting when it does work can, and eventually does, make the card stop working.

Thanks for your support.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms