cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
an_engineer
Paper Tape
Views: 391
Message 1 of 6

P910 - What RAM vendors are supported or recommended?

I've got a P910 that supports DDR4 2400MHz memory. I would like to purchase four 32GB ECC RDIMMs. Is there a list of vendors (e.g. Micron) that Lenovo recommends or supports? Will this void my warranty?
Kacperas
Bit Torrent
Views: 365
Message 2 of 6

Re: P910 - What RAM vendors are supported or recommended?

RAM is a customer repleacable unit, so you won't lose the warranty. I've checked what part are offered by Lenovo for this device. There are 32GB and 64GB modules. I've listed them below:

- FRU: 01AG610, FRU 32GB DDR4 PC4-2400 ECC RDIMM, HK Hynix HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RB1-11.

- FRU: 01AG612, FRU 64GB PC4-2133-R DDR4 ECC LRDIMM 4Rx4, HK Hynix HMAABGL7MMR4N-UH 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2400T-LE1-11.

------
Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 355
Message 3 of 6

Generally adding/replacing memory will not void your warranty.  However if you're using non-qualified memory, support might ask you to remove it from the equation in order to rule it out as a possible cause of any issues you might be facing.

Normally the best path is to go through the Lenovo Options page to make sure you obtain officially approved DIMMs for your system.  However in checking the public page, I couldn't seem to find the DIMM in question.  That said, I checked our internal file for this, and it looks like the option PN for the 32GB DDR4 RDIMM 2400MHz part is 4X70M09263.  So you might be able to contact support directly to see if they can track down that PN for you.

From the documentation I have, we have several 32GB 2400MHz RDIMMs qualified on P910, mainly SKHynix and Micron parts.  You'll probably be OK with parts from either of those vendors, but if you have a specific vendror part number/model number that you'd like me to check, just shoot the info over to me and I'll cross check it.

Alternately, you could purchase the FRU (as Kacperas mentions), which will ensure you get an officially qualified part.  The FRU for the 32GB listed in that post (01AG610) is the correct FRU for the 32GB 2400MHz RDIMM.  The downside to FRUs is they tend to be expensive to purchase outright.

Finally, what is your current memory configuration, and are you intending to add these 4x32GB RDIMMs to that current configuration?  I just want to make sure if you're going to spend all the money on extra memory that you're getting an optimal configuration in the end Smiley Happy.

@Kacperas - Thanks for the info, but be careful...the 64GB part is actually a LRDIMM.  P910 doesn't support mixing RDIMM and LRDIMM within a system, so recommending that 64GB part could be problematic if the intent is to add the new DIMMs to an existing RDIMM.config.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Kacperas
Bit Torrent
Views: 348
Message 4 of 6

Hi Psuturtle!

Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, I'm aware about difference between Load-Reduced and Registered DIMMs. I should have mention it, but I'm glad that you did it. Smiley Happy

------
an_engineer
Paper Tape
Views: 299
Message 5 of 6

Thanks psuturtle, appreciate the response. I was able to locate some 4X70M09263 for a reasonable price. Per the last paragraph in your response, would best practice be to remove my existing 32GB (4x8GB DD4 2400MHz--this is the stock factory config) and replace with the two 4X70M09263 RDIMMS, or am I able to "mix" sizes in this instance? Some initial research online it appears it would probably work but I'd take a performance hit.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 289
Message 6 of 6

The only potential problem I see that you might run into would be that your 4GB DIMMs are likely single rank (1R) while your 32GB DIMMs are likely quad ranked (4R).  That can cause some unbalanced load with the registers.  Worst case you'd probably want to pull the 4GB DIMMs and just run the 32GB DIMMs, but I suspect any performance impact from the mixed ranks will be overshadowed by the gain you'll see from the overall increased memory if all were installed.  Might be worth some trial and error with your specific workloads.  The mixed capacity memory should run (in the system) OK though.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Top Kudoed Authors