Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
66Greg
Paper Tape
Views: 271
Message 1 of 2

P920: Installing drives in the 5-1/4 front bay

I want to install an optical drive and a hot swap enclosure in the front of my P920.

Does anyone know how I can power these? 

Are there hidden SATA connectors?  There are only 4 loose 6- and 8-pin PCIe connectors.

Support said I can purchase a 2nd BCA, but why?  That's for installing more internal drives. 

I just need a connection from the PS that will power the SATA drives.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 250
Message 2 of 2

Re: P920: Installing drives in the 5-1/4 front bay

Every P920 should ship with a cable supporting 3 x 15-pin SATA power connectors for the 5.25" bays.  It might take a little searching, but it should be there.

If your system shipped with no devices in the 5.25" bays, that cable might have been tucked out of view.  If you still can't find it, you should be able to pull the power supply, pull the upper front fan, and pull the upper front fan housing and check the power cable connection on the board (which should be in the upper right corner).  There are two 4-pin molex connectors there...one is to power the upper BCA, the other is to power the 5.25" bays.  You should be able to trace the cables out from there.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors