Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-21-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

Problem installing BIOS update

2021-07-21, 3:10 AM

I have a Thinkstation P320.  I saw on Lenovo Advantage that an update was available: Flash BIOS updates for Thinkstation P320 - 7/10 [64].  When I tried to install the update, I got an error message that there is no (sic) enough space on the hard disk drive.  There is, however, in excess of 700GB of unused space on my C drive.  Recommendations?

Answer
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

332 Signins

14366 Page Views

• Views: 14366

Re:Problem installing BIOS update

2021-07-21, 9:43 AM

Hi ctemkin,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Please try the following steps below in an attempt to resolve the issue:

Step 1. BIOS Load Default Settings. (ThinkPads)
- Select the Start Menu, then choose Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware settings
:or:
- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.
- Press the F1 or F2 (FN+F1 or F2) repeatedly on startup to enter BIOS.
- Navigate to the "Restart" tab
- Press "Load Default Settings"
- Save & Exit changes or F10.

Step 2. Clean up corrupted files through CMD.
1. Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator
2. Now type the command:  sfc /scannow
3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.

4. When you enter the device again, run Command Prompt(Admin)
5. Run the following command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
**Note: This utility will replace any corrupted Windows file with fresh copies downloaded from Microsoft’s server. It’s important that you have a stable internet connection before initiating this scan.

If the Update from Lenovo Vantage doesn't work, then try downloading the BIOS manually from the Support Site - Drivers & Updates - Manual Update - BIOS

Now run the latest BIOS file by right clicking and selecting "Run As Administrator"

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

332 Signins

14366 Page Views

• Views: 14366
  • Message 2 of 3

2021-07-21, 9:43 AM

Hi ctemkin,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Please try the following steps below in an attempt to resolve the issue:

Step 1. BIOS Load Default Settings. (ThinkPads)
- Select the Start Menu, then choose Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware settings
:or:
- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.
- Press the F1 or F2 (FN+F1 or F2) repeatedly on startup to enter BIOS.
- Navigate to the "Restart" tab
- Press "Load Default Settings"
- Save & Exit changes or F10.

Step 2. Clean up corrupted files through CMD.
1. Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator
2. Now type the command:  sfc /scannow
3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.

4. When you enter the device again, run Command Prompt(Admin)
5. Run the following command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
**Note: This utility will replace any corrupted Windows file with fresh copies downloaded from Microsoft’s server. It’s important that you have a stable internet connection before initiating this scan.

If the Update from Lenovo Vantage doesn't work, then try downloading the BIOS manually from the Support Site - Drivers & Updates - Manual Update - BIOS

Now run the latest BIOS file by right clicking and selecting "Run As Administrator"

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

07-21-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 3

2021-07-22, 3:51 AM

Voithos,

Many thanks for the suggestions.  

I followed step 1 as best I could.  I got into BIOS, but could not locate a "Restart" tab.  I did find a tab labeled startup, I think (I should have taken notes), and I found under that an option for something like optimal default settings, and I went with that.

Step 2, items 1-4, worked just as you described.  It indicated that some of the Windows files were corrupted.  On item 5, it did not recognize the online/cleanup-image/restorehealth command.

I tried using the update from Lenovo Vantage, but got the same error message (not enough disk space).  So I tried downloading the flash BIOS from the support site.  Fortunately, that worked--at least, my computer turned on afterward.  I re-ran the Lenovo looking for updates feature, and it indicated that there were no updates available. 

I call that a success.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms