cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
florian7
Serial Port
Views: 2,015
Message 1 of 15

Recommendations for video card for ThinkStation E31 (model type 2555) - *EDITED*

Dear all,

I am planning on replacing my Quadro410 with a more recent and more powerful video card to be able to play a game (or two). I like to play flight simulators, though FlightGear 2017 does not run with the 512MB VRAM my Quadro410 can offer. Their wiki recommends 1-2 GB vram (and the more CUDA cores the better).

Here is my question: what video card would you recommend me taking into consideration my requirements (1-2GB), power limitations (I prefer not to switch the power supply) and the fact that I want to spend as little as possible?

(Generally, I am not a gamer, so I don't need the very latest and best.)

Also, I prefer AMD Radeon cards over Nvidia because of the driver situation in GNU Linux. But please feel free to suggest both brands.

Many thanks!

Mod:  edited the Subject line to correct the system from ThinkCentre to ThinkStation.  Op, the correct forum for your system is here, not the Lenovo ideaCentre 'E' series forum.  Ty.

florian7
Serial Port
Views: 2,009
Message 2 of 15

Max video card dimensions for type 2555 ThinkStation E31

Hi,

I am correct assuming that a ThinkStation E31, type 2555, would only take low-profile video cards?

Thanks,

Pete

Mod:  I merged your 2 threads on same topic together.  Please keep related questions together, and avoid fragmenting the forum.  Ty. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,993
Message 3 of 15

Re: Max video card dimensions for type 2555 ThinkStation E31

No.  when I Googled your system, it appears to be a Tower, and so can take full height cards. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
florian7
Serial Port
Views: 1,985
Message 4 of 15

Makes sense to me. I just found the right user guide for my machine (My Products was linking to a SFF user guide - that's why I came up with the idea that only low-profile cards are suitable.)

So, then let's already re-phrase my question above: What video card would you recommend if I decide not to change my PSU and keep Lenovo's OEM one?

Many thanks,

Pete

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,979
Message 5 of 15

With the 280w supply, a GTX 1050 Ti is possible.   Get one that is full height and does not require 6-pin PCIe power (typically single fan), such as the single fan EVGA SC. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,977
Message 6 of 15

From a spec persepective, I believe you're going to be limited to slot powered GPUs (so 75W TDP or less).  I don't believe the E31 PSU has any available aux power drops to supply additional power to graphics (or other) cards.  That means the highest performance quadro series card that was qualified was likely the Quadro 2000.  

The system is really on the older side, so there's certainly been no official qualification work done with newer cards on that platform. 

I'm probably not the best person to make a specific gaming card recommendation should you choose to go that route, but if you use the existing power supply you'll want to make sure it's 75W TDP or less.  Hope that helps.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,965
Message 7 of 15

Re: Recommendations for video card for ThinkStation E31 (model type 2555) - *EDITED*

Also, I prefer AMD Radeon cards over Nvidia because of the driver situation in GNU Linux. But please feel free to suggest both brands.

And be aware that newer generation AMD cards (general purpose & gaming -- I can't comment on their workstation cards) are notorious for being not compatible with older ThinkCenters & ThinkStations (there's overlap between this E31 and the M92p. 

florian7
Serial Port
Views: 1,964
Message 8 of 15

Full height has what advantage over half-height (low profile), except for the fact that there are many more models out there? Generally the low-profile ones seem to be also low-powered since they are made for SFF machines.

The GTX1050 Ti is actually more expensive than my budget would currently allow me to spend.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,963
Message 9 of 15

Better cooling and lower noise, the tall fan is much more efficient than short fans.  Consider also the regular GTX 1050, and the GT 1030. 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,958
Message 10 of 15

There are a number of cards designed to be 75W TDP full height that have not been miniturized down to fit the small form factor standards.  On the Quadro/NVS side, the P2000 and NVS810 are two examples of this.

Most often, this is either because of technical concerns that can't be overcome (such as cooling/acoustics as BiggAl mentioned), or because it doesn't make financial sense to even try (roadmap overlap).

You basically hit it on the head though....since you have a tower that can handle a full height card, there's little sense in limiting yourself to only looking at SFF cards.  I'd look at both and pick which one meets your usage and cost requirements.  If that happens to be a SFF card, then so be it.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors