Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

S10 642327A - splitting internal power & other cables?

As I am looking at internal upgrades (PCI/e cards, 3.5" drive bay for the 2nd 5.25" bay, etc.) and I am looking at internal power cables and USB, some questions arise after doing a thorough spring cleaning yesterday (and a clean boot first go - yeeeesss):

1] the 5.25" bays have a pair of SATA 15-pin male connectors - can this 'daisychain' be extended if need be and if so, what is the technical term for this cable extension type so I can search for images of them (best to use images when working with the local shops - this applies to each cable/connection in question)?

2] the 4-pin Berg connector for the floppy (I have the OEM card reader) - I assume this can be split with a Y to either a pair of 4-pin Bergs or a 4-pib Berg and a 4-pin Molex: is this correct?

3] there are 2 power cables, both 6-pin female (P3 and P11) - what are they for exactly and can I coopt them for other uses than original?

4] on the board there are 3 USB connections, all in use: can an internal USB port on a PCI card use some sort of adapter/cable configuration to accomodate another male USB connector?

I won't go into here why I'm asking these questions here. By understanding what can/not be done with these internal cables some of my other questions will answer themselves. ;-)

Many thx in advance.

S10 - 642327A
Solutions: 574

Re: S10 642327A - splitting internal power & other cables?

1 - yes, provided you don't exceed 75W of total draw from the resulting chain you create.   a "SATA power splitter cable" is what you want.

2 - yes

3 - each of the 6-pin PCIe power connectors have 3 +12V and 3 ground.   typically these are for video cards and add 75W each.   not much can be done with them unless you're powering something that is +12V only.   they could be split out to SATA power (+12V/gnd only) or 4-pin molex each using only two pins.   personally, i'd leave these connectors alone.

4 - there are both PCI and PCIe x1 adapters with internal USB connectors.   this link to might help locate something suitable.   you might find a product on their site also offered in your area.

ThinkStation C20      ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · 600

0 Kudos

Re: S10 642327A - splitting internal power & other cables?

Hi again Erik - thx for your quick reply. I will definitely take your advice on #3. On #4 I have a follow on question that I'll start a new thread for so as to keep things tidy.

S10 - 642327A