12-07-2017

GB

5 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 1 of 5

S20 Graphics lock up when using Nvidia Graphics card

2017-12-07, 13:50 PM

I have a stock S20 with a Xeon W3550 processor and 1.5GB NVidia Quadro FX4800 Graphics Card. All works fine.

I want to upgrade the GPU to an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 or similar and have tried several of these cards from different manufacturers in my S20 instead of the FX4800.

All showed a strange fault where if stressed out the graphics would run fine (running racing games with intense graphics) but when running low load graphics e.g. emails etc, the graphics card seems to "trip out" and freeze temporarily sometimes resulting in an enforced re-boot of the PC.

This was with most up to date GeForce GTX1060 drivers running on the machine.

Can you advise if I need to upgrade my PSU or if there is likely to be another type of fault and how I can fix this machine so that I can run racing games for my son.

Many thanks

Options

4830 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3528 Signins

49320 Page Views

• Views: 49320
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: S20 Graphics lock up when using Nvidia Graphics card

2017-12-07, 15:01 PM

Unfortunately S20 doesn't officially support any GeForce graphics cards.  And the card you mention in particular (GTX 1060 series) obviously came out many years after development on the 20-series platforms had stopped.  

That being said, I don't think your issue is related to the power supply.  Symptoms such as the temporary freezing you're describing are usually a result of a driver problem of some sort.  I'd make sure you have the latest driver for your card installed as a starting point.  If the driver for your specific vendor card is still causing trouble, you could consider trying the retail driver branch directly from Nvidia.  Perhaps there are some tweaks being made by the driver vendor (such as overclocking, or attempts at idle power savings, etc.) that are causing the card/driver to become unstable.

I'd definitely focus on the driver first though before I'd start throwing new hardware at the system.  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

3 Posts

12-07-2017

GB

5 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 3 of 5

2017-12-07, 16:24 PM

Is it correct that I can potentially run both the original Quadro graphics card and a Nvidia GeForce 1060 at the same time? would this be for multiple monitors?

Options

4830 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3528 Signins

49320 Page Views

• Views: 49320
  • Message 4 of 5

2017-12-07, 19:18 PM

I would not personally recommend mixing Quadro and GeForce GPUs mainly because I believe that will require you to load two different drivers from Nvidia.  I'd be worried about compatibility with both of those drivers running at the same time.  The other part that would make me nervous with your specific scenario is the number of architecture platform changes that have occurred between the two cards you're mentioning.  The FX4800 is essentially 4 generations behind the Pascal based 1060 card.  Nvidia typically recommends not mixing cards from different generations.

However, I believe others on the forum have had some level of success in mixing GeForce and Quadro.  Maybe not to the same level/extreme as the gap in your scenario though.

That being said, if you're just looking for multi-monitor support, you can run up to 4 display heads simultaneously off the 1060 or up to two display heads simultaneously off your FX4800 card.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

12 Posts

07-11-2016

US

18 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 5 of 5

2017-12-08, 8:38 AM

I wouldn't suggest running the quadro and geforce cards together as the drivers dont like it. Are you running the latest bios for your board? Are you using any 6-pin to 8-pin pcie adapters? Are you using any overclocking programs such as MSI Afterburner? Have you tried clearing the cmos? I recall having to do this when installing my GTX1060 6GB for the first time and it seemed to get the quirks out.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms