Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JRF3
Punch Card
Views: 100
Message 1 of 3

S30 Card Reader Alternative FRU

Are  FRU 03T8314 and FRU 03T8366 the only media card readers that are accepted by the bios?

I found a media card reader FRU 03T8160 used that I purchased for just a few dollars I do not know which model this reader is from. Will it work?

I have a ThinkStation S30 4351, with a Xeon e5-1650v2, 32GB of ECC registered, Quadro K4000, and Windows 10 Professional on a Samsung EVO 860 512GB SSD. Will win10 automatically install the drivers after I plug in to the onboard usb 2.0 port?

New to enterprise hardware, I'm a bit reluctant to experiment as my system is running flawlessly.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 65
Message 2 of 3

Re: S30 Card Reader Alternative FRU

It should work as it's basically just another USB device as far as the system is concerned.  

I think that might be a desktop part, so the concern I would have would be whether the cable is long enough to reach from the front bay to the onboard connector.  I think our MCRs typically had a longer 500/530mm cable, and from what I can tell, this 03T8160 part has a 400mm cable.  So you might run into trouble getting the cable to reach the port when using the normal cable routing path.

I don't recall any unique drivers for the MCR in win10.  If there is one, my guess is it's either native to the OS or Windows can easily go search and find it.  I also don't see any MCR drivers listed on the support site.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
JRF3
Punch Card
Views: 58
Message 3 of 3

Re: S30 Card Reader Alternative FRU

Yes the cable jsut barely able to reach the onboard USB port.

Thank you for your quick response, really appreciate the support service here.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors