Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MA82
Paper Tape
Views: 1,393
Message 1 of 12

S30 with GTX 1080 TI Card

hi, I need some some help please

I was trying to upgrade my graphics card in my S30 so I have bought an "EVGA GTX 1080 TI" graphics card and it requires 8pin + 6pin power connecters.

unfortunately my S30 PSU comes with 2x 6pin connecters only.

Can I convert one of the 6pin to 8pin with a power adapter cable and use the other 6 pin connecter directly to the graphics card?

or do I need to change my PSU? if yes please recommend a decent PSU.

I have read all the articles related in the forum but I could not find a direct answer. 

thank you in advance and happy new year.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,359
Message 2 of 12

Re: S30 with GTX 1080 TI Card

The card manufacturer may provide such adapters, but I believe this is what you need.

https://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-6-pin-8-pin-Express-Converter/dp/B00JLTCMFC/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_l...

MA82
Paper Tape
Views: 1,352
Message 3 of 12

thank you so much for your reply, i will try that.

zeek659
Token Ring
Views: 1,327
Message 4 of 12

You don't need an adapter, it won't add any capacity or functionality. The 6 pin will plug into the 8 pin slot while leaving two open, no big deal. 

Otoh, the card will only get access to 150 watts of power while the 6+8 config is supposed to provide as much as ~250 watts. 

It should work fine, just don't go crazy with overclocking- perhaps look into undervolting before overclocking.

And PS: count yourself fortunate, my s30 only has one 6 pin connector and the 24 pin pinout isn't standard atx so I can't upgrade the PSU to a standard unit off of the shelf.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,274
Message 5 of 12

There are a couple of things that need to be addressed here.

First, the info provided by zeek659 is not correct, at least not in regard to the 1080Ti Nvidia reference design card.  The card will not power up with only dual 6-pin connectors attached....it must have both the 6-pin and 8-pin connectors attached or else the card's VBIOS will halt the system.  I've confirmed this in my lab with an Nvidia 1080Ti card in S30.  The only way to get the card to power up and have the system complete POST correctly is by dongling one of the existing 6-pin drops to an 8-pin via an adapter (such as what JDGillis suggested).

With regard to actually supporting a 1080Ti, I think there are going to be serious power concerns with this card in S30.  This is due to a couple of reasons:

1.  250W TDP - S30 was never designed to support 250W cards.  Even getting support for 225W was somewhat challenging with that platform.  By spec, this should load the aux rail with ~14-15A.  By itself, that shouldn't be a problem....but that rail is not dedicated to only supporting GPU aux power and it's actually shared with supporting ODDs/HDDs as well.  That puts things in a very gray area.

2.  High peak input EDP current - The 1080Ti is known to have very high peak input EDP current (well over 30A).  I don't know that the S30 PSU will be able to support that kind of EDP current without shutting down to protect itself.  Under normal loads, this might not be a problem.  But if you intend to stress the card heavily, it could easily result in an overcurrent situation where the PSU shuts down as a result.

So the bottom line here is fully supporting a 1080Ti in S30 is risky.  Since I have one of these cards on hand, I certainly don't mind running it through some stress testing in S30 to see how it responds.  It might save you some future headaches in trying to buy a card that your system won't cleanly support.

MA82
Paper Tape
Views: 1,262
Message 6 of 12

Thank you psuturtle for your reply,

I was successfully able to power up the card by using an adapter cable supplied with the card that combine 2 6pin connecters to one 8pin connecter with using one of its ends only. one of the adapters ends worked but the other one did not in my first try.

I have no idea how did this worked out … The adapter is designed in a way that required both 6pin cables connected to it and It will convert it to 8pin, you can tell from the number of cables coming out of each of it ends as one end have 5 cables and the other one have 6 cables. (see the photo attached).

so now the card is connected with 6pin directly coming from PSU and the supplied adapter to the 8pin.

I have rendered some 4K premier projects with some effects and color grading and so far everything seems to work just fine, the same project require 7 hours of rendering with the K2000 and it was done in less than 12min with the new card.

Also I ran some benchmarking using the software came with the card and there was no issues

I have 2 HDD and 1 SSD and CD-ROM on this machine so literally I have no more power cables are not in use.

It would be great If you can tell me a way to stress out the card so I can share the results with the members.

I appreciate you testing the setup further as well and let me know if you face any issue.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,255
Message 7 of 12

The extra 2 pins in an 8-pin PCIe power drop are typically connected to ground.  Those two extra pins don't carry additional current, but rather inform devices that they can draw up to 150W from that power drop instead of the typical 75W associated with a standard 6-pin connector.  It's hard to tell from the picture, but I'm guessing the right-most two pins in the 8-pin connector are wired back to the ground pins from the 6-pin drop.  That's probably enough to allow the card to power up and get through POST.  A simple test would be to only connect the standard dual 6-pin drops coming off the PSU to the card and see if it'll power up.  Assuming it's working as the Nvidia Founder's Edition cards (I see it's an EVGA card), it shouldn't power up in that scenario.  If it does, then EVGA might have tweaked the VBIOS.

Regardless, glad to see you're getting real world results and have not yet experienced any issues.  I'll see if we can run that 1080Ti through some stress testing to see how it will perform when pushed to it's thermal/power limits.  This could certainly be a case where your workload isn't stressing the card high enough to encounter any issues.

zeek659
Token Ring
Views: 1,239
Message 8 of 12

>info provided by zeek659 is not correct, at least not in regard to the 1080Ti Nvidia reference design card.  The card will >not power up with only dual 6-pin connectors attached....it must have both the 6-pin and 8-pin connectors attached or >else the card's VBIOS will halt the system. 

Ah, right, I was operating under the assumption that it only had a single 8 pin. Also, my math on the power delivery is incorrect... though (very) approximately correct. I think the notion holds though.

I believe that my original thinking there was that the 6 and 8 pin female connectors on the video card would be populated by both 6 pin PCIE connectors. Does this mean that you've not been able to get a system to post while both 6 and 8 pin female ports were populated with a 6 pin male connector each? My GTX 1070 has a single 8 pin connector which is currently populated with my system's single 6 pin power cable (-_-).

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,197
Message 9 of 12

zeek659 wrote:

I believe that my original thinking there was that the 6 and 8 pin female connectors on the video card would be populated by both 6 pin PCIE connectors..

The 1080Ti Founder's Edition (reference design) has both 6-pin and 8-pin female connectors.  If you only plug dual 6-pin male connectors to the card, it will not power up.  VBIOS halts the system and informs the user to shut down and connect the correct power cables.  So this particular card will not function with only dual 6-pin connectors.

I have seen instances with other cards where they will sometimes power up even if all of the "max" power connections are not made.  But this isn't one of them.  If you examine the power consumption of the 1080Ti card, this actually makes sense since the card regularly can run at power levels exceeding the 250W TDP rating.  By spec, dual 6-pin drops (or a single 8-pin) is really only good for 150W.  With 75W being supplied by the slot (also spec), that gets you to 225W for either of those two connection scenarios.  For a card that can run in the 250W-260W range pretty easily,that exceeds what can typically be done with dual 6-pin or a single 8-pin drop.

That being said, Nvidia likes to take liberties with the power connector specs based on their own testing and evaluation.  So I use "spec" loosely in that sense.  For example, the Quadro P6000 card is also rated at 250W, but only has a single 8-pin connector onboard.  So TDP isn't the only determining factor when it comes to figuring out how to power cards.

@MA82 - I'll work on getting this tested in an S30 system here soon.  Have some other things taking priority, but will get to it when I can.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,186
Message 10 of 12

So it appears I'm going to have to eat a little bit of crow on this one.  In testing out a 1080Ti in my S30 system, it actually ran much better than I thought it would.  Even when loading the system up with additional spinning HDDs/ODDs, it seemed to work just fine with the 1080Ti getting stressed like crazy.  I saw no system shutdowns caused by the power supply.

That being said, the numbers here don't lie.  My measurement equipment is a bit limited, but I saw peaks of over 16A on the aux power lines driving the GPU.  Theoretically, that alone should be enough to potentially cause problems, not to mention the extra current that would come from having multiple HDDs/ODDs on the system.  I still suspect that if you were able to stress things in the right combination for long enough, you'd possibly hit a condition where the supply would shut down.  But at any rate, it's chewing through the stress tests like a champ right now.  

The good news is I think this proves that the S30 power supply apparently is capable of supporting some of those high/peak input EDP currents on the GPU.  Not sure the Titan cards would fare as well, but it's a positive sign.

Top Kudoed Authors