cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mriegger
Fanfold Paper
Views: 372
Message 1 of 5

Theoretically, a P500 should be able to use an RTX 2060 right?

I am aiming to pick up an RTX 2060 which requires a 500W power supply and an 8-pin connector. I am also looking to pick up a refurbished P500 ThinkStation with a 650W power supply to pair it with.

I believe that this combination should be supported, albeit unofficially. From what I've read, the 650W P500 has both 6 and 8 pin connectors along with enough juice.

I don't suppose anyone could verify that this combination should be ok? My work computer is a P520 and I love the aesthetics and build quality.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 336
Message 2 of 5

Re: Theoretically, a P500 should be able to use an RTX 2060 right?

This can actually be a bit tricky.  

Just going by TDP, the P500 with the 650W PSU should be enough to support the RTX2060 as that card is rated at 180W and requires a single 8-pin connection.  But that only tells part of the story as the RTX class cards have a rather high input EDP spec that not all power supplies can tolerate.  

Typically, I'd recommend splitting that load across the two available 12V rails to hopefully ensure the input EDP current wouldn't be a problem.  However, since there's only a single connector on this GPU, that's not possible without some rather specialized cabling.  

I don't have a sample of the 2060 on hand, but I do have the 2070, which is only marginally higher in terms of TDP (and hopefully EDP current as well).  We can do a quick sniff test on that config to see if there would be any issues with it.  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
mriegger
Fanfold Paper
Views: 334
Message 3 of 5

Wow, thanks for the detailed information. If you have time to do a quick test that would be awesome.
Highlighted
Lenovo Employee PfatMan
Lenovo Employee
Views: 246
Message 4 of 5

mriegger,

Per psuturtle's previous post I have done some testing in our lab and I think you're going to be ok with this configuration. As he stated, we do not have a 2060 card available, but I did a gpu stress test on a P510 system with a 2070 card installed and I have not seen any issues. This configuration should be comparable to the one you are considering, so the results should also be comparable.

Hope this helps.

mriegger
Fanfold Paper
Views: 237
Message 5 of 5

Thank you so much! You definitely me into a Lenovo fan today. I'm going to go with the 2060 + P500 combo.

Cheers,

-Michael

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors