Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
p2bm
Paper Tape
Views: 475
Message 1 of 6

ThinkStation E30 does not recognize GTX 1650 graphics card

My thinkStation E30 Type 7783 does not recognize a GTX 1650 graphics card installed (ref. GV-N1650IXOC-4GD), when I install my current Quadro 2000 all works fine.

The system is uptodate driver and BIOS wise.

When booting with the gtx 1650 installed,  the PC does not seem to reach POST, the fans turn off after few seconds and back again, after 3 cycles a single beep is heard then this repeats. I performed a clear CMOS and nothing changed.

The GTX 1650 is rated at 75W at full load so the 280W PSU should be able to handle it specially that all works fine wth the Quadro 2000, and I do not believe PCIe 2.0 to be an issue.

I have tested the graphics card on another PC and it works fine, so I suspect it is down to compatibility with the E30 system but I fail to understand why.

Any help would be welcome.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 397
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkStation E30 does not recognize GTX 1650 graphics card

The two things that come to mind here are:

1.  Video OPROM issue - I'm wondering if the card might have a UEFI-only OPROM and the E30 is operating in Legacy mode.  I would find it really odd for a GPU (especially a reference GPU) to be shipping with a UEFI-only OPROM.  So I'm doubting this is the case.

2.  Power Supply compatibility - It's possible with this being a newer GTX card that the power supply is not able to support the full load of the card (even though the total card power should be within spec).  

I'll see if we can track down a 1650 to check, but I'm not sure we have any on hand.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
p2bm
Paper Tape
Views: 387
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

Indeed my E30 is booting in legacy mode, however when I set it to UEFI mode nothing changes.

The power supply is rated at 280W, the 1650 is rated at 75W TDP, while the Intel Xeon E3-1220 at 80W, there at should be enough room at least for the Vesa mode graphics of the BIOS. I have been stressing the system with the Quadro 2000 with TDP 62W and never had an issue.

I am still puzzled

LeFrettchen
Punch Card
Views: 377
Message 4 of 6

I may be wrong, but the problem could be the PCIe slot.

The E30 has only PCIe 2.0 slots, but the GTX 1650 needs a PCIe 3.0 ro run.

You can find a lot of similar troubles on the net, lot of people can not use a PCIe 3 card on a PCIe 2 motherboard.

It seems that some graphic cards are overflowing : sending too much flow to the MB that can not be absorbed.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 358
Message 5 of 6

@LeFrettchen

PCIe spec allows for (actually requires) the device to be able to clock down, so I highly doubt this is the issue.  In fact, most current GPUs will idle at a lower PCIe link speed/width in order to save power.  PCIe 3.0 cards should be able to run in PCIe 2.0 slots, they simply won't do so at full bandwidth.

@p2bm

While I don't think the issue is related to input EDP power as those issues typically exhibit when the card is under load and not during POST, it's important to note that you simply can't size these newer GPUs by only looking at card TDP power.  There's a lot more that goes into it, and the detailed specs containing the information I'm referring to is not something that is typically provided by the card vendor.  The newer Pascal, Volta, and Turing based GPUs can draw a LOT of current over a short amount of time by spec....well over what the card TDP would indicate is possible...and that can result in power supply issues if the design isn't capable of supporting the spikes in current.

Unfortunately I don't have any 1650 cards on hand at the moment, so I'm not sure how much help we can be with this one.  I'll keep looking to see if we can find a similar corollary card to check out on an older E30.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
p2bm
Paper Tape
Views: 331
Message 6 of 6

Hello, thank you for the feedbacks

I will try to fit a 500W PSU to the E30 system, retest with the 1650 and share wih you the result.

I have set a already put a question to the graphics card manufacturer and I am still waiting for a reply, unfortunately their support is not as responsive as Lenovo's Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors