Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-23-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 2

ThinkStation E31 - Connecting monitor with HDMI cable

2021-09-23, 18:40 PM

I have an old ThinkStation E31 and a newer monitor. The monitor uses an HDMI cable, but the ThinkStation does not have an HDMI port. I got an HDMI to USB adapter, but the monitor is not getting any signal. Any ideas?  

Answer
Options

5225 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3685 Signins

51535 Page Views

• Views: 51535

Re:ThinkStation E31 - Connecting monitor with HDMI cable

2021-09-23, 20:08 PM

USB doesn't typically drive video out signals.  So if your connection path is USB (on the E31) --> USB to HDMI dongle --> HDMI to display.....then that's your problem as you're essentially not connecting the display to an active video source.

Instead, look for a dongle capable of converting one of the onboard ports (Display Port or VGA on that platform if I remember correctly) to HDMI.  Alternatively, if your system has a discrete GPU, you'll likely want to find a dongle that can convert the output of that GPU (likely also DP) to HDMI.

I don't have the list for E31 available (due to platform age), but the FRU for the supported DP to HDMI dongle for E32 is 03T8404.  This dongle would also likely work just fine for E31 as well.  And of course there are also options available on the open market.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

5225 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3685 Signins

51535 Page Views

• Views: 51535
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:ThinkStation E31 - Connecting monitor with HDMI cable

2021-09-23, 20:08 PM

USB doesn't typically drive video out signals.  So if your connection path is USB (on the E31) --> USB to HDMI dongle --> HDMI to display.....then that's your problem as you're essentially not connecting the display to an active video source.

Instead, look for a dongle capable of converting one of the onboard ports (Display Port or VGA on that platform if I remember correctly) to HDMI.  Alternatively, if your system has a discrete GPU, you'll likely want to find a dongle that can convert the output of that GPU (likely also DP) to HDMI.

I don't have the list for E31 available (due to platform age), but the FRU for the supported DP to HDMI dongle for E32 is 03T8404.  This dongle would also likely work just fine for E31 as well.  And of course there are also options available on the open market.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)