2018-04-15, 22:41 PM

Hello all,

ThinkStation P410 - 30B3-003QUS

Windows 7

Swapped in Insignia 520W Power supply

Swapped in Geforce GTX1070

4x 8GB RDIMM DDR4-2400 ECC (added 2)

2x 512GB SSD M.2 PCIe (added 1)

I'm not by any means an expert when it comes to PCs but I know a little. I leave my CPU on most of the time. It's connected to an UPS so the power should be conditioned. I came home from being out of town and CPU was off. Powered it on but all I get are fans and optical drive. The LED for the logo on the graphics card comes on but I don't have any output and I don't have any audio signifying Windows is starting. Monitors are good, tested them on a laptop. Tried various CMOS reset attempts between jumpers and battery removal and downloaded the latest BIOS, created a disk mounted boot image on a DVD and nothing happened. When I removed everything in PCIe and RAM and optical drive I got a RAM post beep signal. Once I remounted it, no beeps. Swapped out to original NVIDIA Quadro K1200, still nothing. I don't know where to go from here. I'm assuming my PSU is good since I am getting post beeps for RAM error. I don't have a volt meter handy anyway. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Solved! See the solution
Options

4691 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3477 Signins

48570 Page Views

• Views: 48570
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: ThinkStation P410 startup problem - At a loss

2018-04-16, 15:45 PM

Just out of curiosity, have you tried swapping the original P410 PSU back into the system to see if the issue follows the supply?  If you still have the original PSU, it might be worth a try.

For this statement....

"downloaded the latest BIOS, created a disk mounted boot image on a DVD and nothing happened"

....were you attempting to do a boot block recovery or just hoping the BIOS image would flash normally? 

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

6 Posts

04-15-2018

US

5 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 3 of 9

2018-04-16, 16:59 PM

I didn't think of that. I do have the original PSU and I'll put it back into it's original configuration and let you know. AS far as the BIOS flash I followed the steps from recovering from a BIOS failure in the manual. 

Options

6 Posts

04-15-2018

US

5 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2018-04-16, 18:34 PM

No luck with the original PSU. Still hanging.

Options

4691 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3477 Signins

48570 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2018-04-16, 20:47 PM

By chance, do you have any flashing LEDs on the front of the system (from a diagnostic event)?  If a diagnostic event was logged, there would be an orange/amber triangle flashing on the front.  If it is, we can try to use that to narrow things down a bit.

If you didn't build an actual CD/DVD out of the BIOS ISO I posted before during the boot block recovery attempt, I'd try that route.  That process can sometimes be pretty finicky, but it is a lifesaver when it works.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

6 Posts

04-15-2018

US

5 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2018-04-17, 23:30 PM

No blinking yellow lights. I did create an ISO on a DVD but I haven't seen or heard anything that would lead me to believe it worked. Maybe I'm doing the order of operations wrong? I gave Lenovo Tech Support a shout and they are sending someone with a replacement board that's unfortunately way backordered.

Options

4691 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3477 Signins

48570 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2018-04-18, 14:33 PM

That might be best in this case.  

As long as you created the disc from the ISO and are following the process of moving the jumper to the clear position, booting the system and letting it do its thing, and then moving the jumper back when done, you would likely know if it completed OK.  P410 should give you a video sync to show you status on the recovery process on the screen, so if you never saw that then I don't think it completed.  Perhaps there's something else going on that a boot block recovery wasn't going to resolve.

Keep us updated with the results of your service call.

Options

6 Posts

04-15-2018

US

5 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2018-04-20, 16:36 PM

First off, thank you for all the suggestions. Second, I found the issue and it's satisfying and sad at the same time. Turns out I have a bad stick of RAM which is so simple it hurts to admit. Lenovo tech support suggested that sometimes RAM is the cause but they see it with aftermarket sticks particularly Crucial or Kingston. I do have two Kingston sticks I used for expansion but both of those are fine. I lost one of the OEM sticks in DIMM slot 1. For anybody who reads this in the future and doesn't know, if you have multiple sticks you can check through them individually by taking them all out and putting in one at a time and boot. I also read you want to check using multiple slots to make sure the slot you are using to test isn't bad. I don't know if this is necessarily the safest way to do it but it worked for me. Also, my ISO boot DVD was still in the drive when it started working and the JP4 jumper CLEAR CMOS was set to pins 1&2 (not clear) and the BIOS still updated - in case anybody can use that info. And lastly, just to make note of it, I don't know if this is standard or not but with the bad RAM that was causing the hang I was NOT receiving POST beeps codes but with ALL the RAM removed I did receive beep codes, so don't assume if you don't hear any that means the sticks are good. Thanks!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4691 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3477 Signins

48570 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2018-04-20, 17:28 PM

Glad you got it working.  Looking back at it now, I probably should have had you pull all the memory as a test prior to trying to boot block recover the BIOS.

But yes everything you described sounds like it's working as intended.  The system will throw an error beep sequence when no memory is detected, but it will not do so for a "bad DIMM" simply because there are multiple factors that could cause that to happen.  In your case, if the first DIMM went down, that was probably causing a training issue within the MRC that was halting the system.  It might have acted differently if that failing DIMM was in another slot (depending on how exactly it failed of course).

At any rate, glad you're up and running.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete