Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jannik_scb
Paper Tape
Views: 188
Message 1 of 4

ThinkStation P520c fans too loud

Hello,

we have a problem with one of our ThinkStation P520c. Since 2-3 weeks the fans (case and CPU) runs on 100%. It doesn't matter which CPU or graphics usage. I already checked the fan settings in the BIOS and the cables in the case. But the fan speed didn't change, it's still at 100%.

Do you have some tips for me before I have to contact the Lenovo support?

Thanks and greetings from Germany Smiley Happy

Jannik

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 160
Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkStation P520c fans too loud

What is your system configuration?

Are there any diagnostic errors being logged in the system (either in the diagnostics application, or on the front panel via the warning LED)?

What is the setting for the fan speed in BIOS (1-7, 1 being default)?

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
jannik_scb
Paper Tape
Views: 140
Message 3 of 4

The CPU is a Xeon W-2123, Quadro P4000, 32GB RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD.

There are no errors logged and the LED is off.

I tried all settings for the fan speed, but it doesn't matter. Now it's on the slowest position (1).

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 133
Message 4 of 4

Your system should have the a total of 5 fans:

- CPU/heatsink fan

- Front fan

- Rear system fan

- GPU fan (onboard)

- PSU fan

I would try to isolate which of these are ramped up at full speed.  It's highly unlikely that all of them are ramped up since the PSU and GPU fans are handled by different controllers than the CPU/system fans.  And it sounds silly, but I usually do an "ear test" when looking at this because there have been times where I thought it was one fan causing an issue only to find out it was actually a different one that was ramped up.

If it's the CPU/system fans, I would consider trying to flash BIOS.  Perhaps something got out of whack there between BIOS and the super IO.  If that doesn't help, and it's truly all 3 of those fans that are ramped high, it's probably time to get a service ticket opened.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors