Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-02-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

9 Signins

50 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 50
  • Message 21 of 33

Re:ThinkStation P620 Diagnostic Codes Deciphering

2021-04-06, 13:51 PM

Hi,

I would love to be able to purchase the Intel 9260 AC wifi card that Lenovo currently ships in the P620!
I forgot to add it to the order, and it doesn't seem possible to purchase the card afterwards.

It would be great if you can share a link I can use for a purchase from the UK.

Thanks,

marina

Options

1424 Posts

01-14-2014

United States of America

2207 Signins

18194 Page Views

• Views: 18194
  • Message 22 of 33

2021-04-06, 14:23 PM

We don't currently have the Intel 9260 AC wifi adapter used on the P620 as a Lenovo option part yet.  However, I can give you a list of FRU's you can try to order: 

- FRU 01AX771 - Intel Thunder Peak 2 9260 2*2AC + BT5.0 vPro PCIe M.2 Module

- FRU 01AJ901 - PCIe to m.2 riser card awake FH

- FRU 00XJ119 - LX WS P5/P7/P9 ext-antenna 

- FRU 00XJ061 -  Luxshare 80mm  I-Pex to SMA M.2 RF Cable

- FRU 00XL361 - Riser Card USB Header cable

Options

4 Posts

04-02-2021

9 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 23 of 33

2021-04-07, 9:17 AM

Thank you!

That is quite pricey... considering that I will need to order 2 x RF cables and 2 x external antennas, the prices add up to more than 3 times what Lenovo asks for the card, when ordering a P620.

also, some of the bits are not available.. I have been looking here: 

https://www.lenovopartsales.com/LenovoEsales/apex/ccrz__HomePage?cartId=aed55985-dde3-4d27-9f20-b25b0c0438f2&reloaded=true

I think I will  pass for now.. I will wait for the card to become available.

For now, I will try to get hold just of the BT cable, in the hope that it will resolve the issue.

I will report here with the results.

Thanks,

marina

Options

93 Posts

04-16-2021

Netherlands

114 Signins

845 Page Views

• Views: 845
  • Message 24 of 33

2021-04-16, 14:11 PM

I have just received a brand new P620. When the system is up and running there is no error and, without being stressed, temperatures reported are looking normal (CPU 56 C) Fans run quietly. When stressed the fans do step up and the CPU temp. is max 89 C. But every time after shutdown, the system also shows this "temp" - "t240" Even when started the next day and immediatly shutdown from the login screen.When I remove the power cord and reinstall it the error does not reapear until the next time the system is shutdown.It is updated with the latest firmware.At this moment the system has only a Nvidia RTX4000 card installed and one 64GB mem module.Bios settings are still the default settings The system is in a room with ambient temp. of 19.2 deg. Celcius.The air intake and outlets are not blocked.All fans appear to be working.

Options

93 Posts

04-16-2021

Netherlands

114 Signins

845 Page Views

• Views: 845
  • Message 25 of 33

2021-04-29, 12:56 PM

Today I was able to look into this.

Long story short.

On my system it was reproducable the DisplayPort cable causing this.

Replacing the cable solved the tEnP-t240 issue.

Options

5 Posts

07-30-2021

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 26 of 33

2021-07-30, 21:00 PM

Hello,

I wish this could be fixed, obviously some weird messages are sent / detected on the PCI bus as my problem is all was working fine with a Nvidia RTX 4000 I fitted. I was running out of video Ram and can’t afford a RTX 6000 so I popped in an AMD 6800xt since then I get this memory temp false error! 

ironic as its now all AMD, pop the Nvidia back and no error. Annoying!

Options

5269 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3709 Signins

51815 Page Views

• Views: 51815
  • Message 27 of 33

2021-08-03, 17:54 PM

@TryHarder - I'm not sure what you're looking to be fixed here as you've not really described the details of your specific issue.  The AMD 6800XT is a non supported GPU on P620 in the sense that we (Lenovo) have never tested or qualified it on the platform.   I wouldn't assume that errors being logged by diagnostics are false simply because it's an AMD GPU and AMD platform.  From what I've seen of that GPU, it's a high power GPU with a significant thermal solution.  So it seems entirely feasible to me that it could be causing a temp issue with the system memory depending on how that thermal solution behaves in the system.  GPUs making use of radially cooled thermal solutions aren't exactly known for being the best design point as it's dumping preheated air back inside the system, as opposed to exhausting that air out the rear of the card as typical with a single fan blower thermal solution.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

5 Posts

07-30-2021

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 28 of 33

2021-08-03, 20:36 PM

@psuturtle Thank you for your reply, I apologize I thought I had described the issue I am experiencing in line with the OP and others on this thread. To be clear.....

I have been using a P620 for six months using 3D apps and then prototyping in Unreal Engine, I was using an Nvidia RTX 4000 all good and the P620 Threadripper Pro is awesome to use with Unreal engine it literally increased my productivity by 60%. But now I'm building some large very Hi-Res scenes in Unreal Engine. When I said couldn't afford an RTX 6000 to be more specific I don't mind spending money I don't like wasting it and Unreal Engine runs best with a high-end' gaming' card, the RTX6000 is twice as expensive as a 6800/6900 AMD or an RTX3090 and arguably for my precise usage case lower performing.

I understand the Pro workstation cards are for Pro Workstations etc. But you (Lenovo) surely don't want to exclude professional game developers from using your workstations after all there aren't many pre-built TR PRO systems to choose from.

The OP told a story of a similar issue after installing an Aorus PCIe Wifi card, I was carrying this point on with my experience.

To your points whilst I except you are correct that a 6800XT, in theory, could increase the in case temps and throw a memory overheat error I fail to see how the Aorus PCIe Wifi card could? In my experience, if I start my system from cold at the beginning of a day and boot to Windows Logon that's what 60 secs then immediately shutdown I see the Mem Temp Error displayed and the system restarts itself. I cannot believe that the 6800XT or Aorus PCIe Wifi card can raise the DIMM temps to +40 or 50C which I assume your error triggers at, in such a short time, but I except you (Lenovo) will know more about this than me.

So accepting the overheating error to be genuine and as I mentioned your (Lenovo's) intentions not to exclude professional game developers using Unreal Engine and the P620 can you let me have a list of high-end 'Gaming' cards you have tested the P620 with, please. Or are we restricted to using Quadro/Radeon Pro cards if so again which ones are approved?

Thanks again for your help.

Options

5269 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3709 Signins

51815 Page Views

• Views: 51815
  • Message 29 of 33

2021-08-04, 21:07 PM

Ahh that helps clarify things a bit.  Thanks! :)

I actually had to reread the earlier part of this thread too because I wasn't familiar with all of that previous detail either.  In my opinion, I wouldn't necessarily link the temp error warnings that are showing up with the unsupported wifi card(s) to being the same root cause as what you're seeing with the AMD 6900 card.  It it possible....sure.  But I doubt the wifi cards are truly throwing anything over temp given their extremely low power consumption.  Whereas the 6900 card can run upwards of 300W and dissipate crazy amounts of heat.  So I'd say there's certainly a chance the temp error you're seeing with the AMD card could be valid.  If I had to guess with the wifi card(s) mentioned earlier in this thread...there's something else with those cards causing a false trigger for that temp error.  Perhaps they are utilizing a reserved pin or something like that, but that's kind of a shot in the dark.  We'd have to dig into the detail of the trigger(s) for that specific diag error more to understand what else could be causing it, but not having the failing HW on hand makes this challenging.

The real problem is that without samples of these 3rd party adapters, it can be tough for us to track down the real root causes remotely via the forums.  And my team doesn't necessarily have the bandwidth or capacity to take that on for the large volume of similar requests that can come in.

In terms of supported GPUs on P620, you're absolutely correct in that we focus on workstation class hardware (and typically always have).  So the Quadro series is our primary focus, with a few AMD Radeon pro series cards as well.  Here's a high level list of what's currently supported:

• Quadro RTX cards (up to RTX8000;  These are Turing based GPUs)
  • Quadro P620, P1000, P2200 (These are mainstream Pascal based GPUs)
  • GV1000 (Volta based GPU/compute adapter)
  • (Formerly Quadro) RTX A5000, RTX 6000 (These are Ampere based GPUs)
  • AMD Radeon WX3200, W5000, W5700

However, we're not blind to the impact the gaming GPUs have had on the industry, including workstation.  We do have some level of support for cards like the 2080 Super, 3080, and 3060Ti currently.  And we're continuing to add GPU support as the Nvidia/AMD roadmaps continue to evolve.  Keep in mind these statements of support are not instant or tied to the vendor launch dates.  Qualifications take time...and the gaming GPU roadmap changes rapidly.  So it's always evolving as we have to figure out the best and most effective way to use resources to get parts added.  Also note that the statement of support for the GeForce cards above doesn't imply that all versions of the GPU are officially supported.  As designs for similar GPUs (i.e. the 3080) can vary wildly from vendor to vendor, we have to limit official support to only the cards we actually supply.

We can certainly help evaluate specs for non-supported GPUs that don't fall into the list above.  But this is where the gray area comes in due to the fact that we simply don't have actual samples on hand to evaluate.  The best we can do is closely examine the specs and make an estimation off that.  At the end of the day, you'd still be on your own if you chose to go the route of an unsupported GPU.

Hope that helps.  Certainly feel free to let us know if you have further questions.  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

4 Posts

04-02-2021

9 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 30 of 33

2021-08-05, 8:50 AM

Hi,

An update to my issue: I have managed to get hold of a genuine Lenovo WiFi/BT adapter, although not a Intel 9260, rather the "ThinkStation AC Wi-Fi Solution Intel 8260".

Older, cheaper, cheerful and, most importantly, purchasable ;)

Well.. the 'thermal' issue has now gone.

I believe that, at least in my case, there has never been a thermal issue. That the message must have been caused by a software issue somewhere, in some firmware.

This is something perfectly reproducible: take a P620 workstation and install a third party WiFi adapter. Power the thing on, and then power it off. Almost certainly you will see the thermal warning appearing. If you have the resources, give it a shot.

If you are Lenovo, please have a look if you can address this.

Having false positives is never a good thing: it makes warnings less reliable, giving the perception that they can be safely ignored, with all consequences.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms