AU

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 6

ThinkStation P620 - Upgrade Options Question

2021-01-10, 7:41 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to go ahead with the ThinkStation P620, primarily because of the AMD Threadripper Pro 64 core CPU. If you could please advise regarding the upgrade potential of the PC for the following key items would greatly appreciate it, thanks:

1 - Graphics Card

I notice the customisation option is there for NVIDIA Quatro graphics cards only. Is it possible to order this PC without a graphics card and if not is it possible to replace say the NVIDIA Quadro P620 2GB that I may buy with this PC and upgrade this myself for an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB graphics card?

I understand the reasoning for the Quadro cards I just wanted to know if there was any reason I couldn't at all go with the RTX 3090 if I wanted to swap this out (i.e. possible compatibility issues with the ThinkStation motherboard, available space within the tower chassis etc).

2 - Memory

I believe the AMD Threadripper Pro supports up to 2TB of memory. Currently the customisation options allow for 1X 64GB RDIMM DDR4-3200 ECC modules for a possible maximum of 8 to give a total of 512GB RAM. Is it possible for me to later replace the memory on the ThinkStation P620 with 128GB memory modules? This would be especially useful as with time the cost of single 128GB RAM DIMM will come down. It would also means a bigger advantage compared to the non PRO version of the Threadripper CPU which you can see is limited to 256GB RAM.

Threadripper Pro Advantages

3 - Storage

Current SSD customisation gives options for PCIe 3.0 NVMe, is there any issue with future upgrading the PC with the latest PCIe 4.0 SSD? 

It would be good to know if at least I could upgrade the SSD myself for PCIe 4.0 as an option at some point, especially given I would likely go with the 64 core CPU option which could really hammer the SSD under certain work loads (i.e. the PCIe 4.0 SSD standard would apparently be twice as fast as current PCIe 3.0).

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get a good idea of the DIY upgrade options for this PC to get the most out of it over the years, thanks.

Kind Regards,

Anthony

Options

900 Posts

01-14-2014

US

2005 Signins

14524 Page Views

• Views: 14524
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:ThinkStation P620 - Upgrade Options Question

2021-01-11, 15:20 PM

See below for some answers to your questions!

1 - Graphics Card

I notice the customisation option is there for NVIDIA Quatro graphics cards only. Is it possible to order this PC without a graphics card and if not is it possible to replace say the NVIDIA Quadro P620 2GB that I may buy with this PC and upgrade this myself for an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB graphics card?

I understand the reasoning for the Quadro cards I just wanted to know if there was any reason I couldn't at all go with the RTX 3090 if I wanted to swap this out (i.e. possible compatibility issues with the ThinkStation motherboard, available space within the tower chassis etc).

- Yes, you can order the P620 as a graphics-less model and add your own graphics card in the system.  However, the RTX 3090 card was never tested in the P620 and our lab doesn't have any of these cards to begin sniff-testing these in the P620 system as well.  So, I really don't want to make recommendations on compatibility until we have the chance to at least look at this in the P620 system.  However, we have checked out the RTX 3080 card in the P620 system and I think it'll be OK to install a single RTX 3080 card in the system.  

2 - Memory

I believe the AMD Threadripper Pro supports up to 2TB of memory. Currently the customisation options allow for 1X 64GB RDIMM DDR4-3200 ECC modules for a possible maximum of 8 to give a total of 512GB RAM. Is it possible for me to later replace the memory on the ThinkStation P620 with 128GB memory modules? This would be especially useful as with time the cost of single 128GB RAM DIMM will come down. It would also means a bigger advantage compared to the non PRO version of the Threadripper CPU which you can see is limited to 256GB RAM.

- We now offer 128GB DIMMs on the P620 system.  This gives us the opportunity to support 1TB of memory in the P620 .  

3 - Storage

Current SSD customisation gives options for PCIe 3.0 NVMe, is there any issue with future upgrading the PC with the latest PCIe 4.0 SSD? 

It would be good to know if at least I could upgrade the SSD myself for PCIe 4.0 as an option at some point, especially given I would likely go with the 64 core CPU option which could really hammer the SSD under certain work loads (i.e. the PCIe 4.0 SSD standard would apparently be twice as fast as current PCIe 3.0).

- Theoretically, yes.  There are 2x onboard M.2 slots on the P620 motherboard that are Gen4 capable.  Unfortunately, we don't offer M.2 carrier cards at this time will support Gen4 in the rear PCIe slots.  Currently, we're working to qualify the following Gen4 M.2 capacities: 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, 2TB.  

Options

2 Posts

01-10-2021

AU

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 6

2021-01-12, 4:50 AM
Hi, Thanks for this response, really helpful
Options

4 Posts

11-27-2020

US

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 4 of 6

2021-01-12, 22:30 PM

Hi,

I contacted a sales representative today about the availability of PCIe 4.0 SSDs, and he said he can help me configure them. He sent me an updated quote. Although the quote seems unchanged, (i.e., it still shows Gen 3 PCIe SSD), the total price increases a little and he said in this way I will get the PCIe 4.0 SSDs I want. I just want to make sure if it is true, and if it is, do I need to wait for an extended period of time to finally receive my machine?

Thanks

Options

4838 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3530 Signins

49360 Page Views

• Views: 49360
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-01-13, 19:21 PM

Gen4 NVMe drives are still on hold at this point in terms of gen4 drives being shipped as supported in the system.  We're still working through some issues with suppliers to try to get these supported and shipping as standard parts.

Anything that ships from factory right now will still be limited to gen3 for the time being.

I don't have any official target date regarding when gen4 drives will be ready, but this is certainly a top priority for us on this platform.  

Based on what I know internally of how orders are processed, there is no way for anybody in sales to configure/order a system with gen4 drives right now.  So I suspect the configuration they were trying to put together for you was actually with gen3 drives.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

4 Posts

11-27-2020

US

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-01-13, 21:35 PM

Thanks pusturtle! That’s also what I thought. I believe even if he really finds a way to configure Gen 4 SSDs I still need to wait to see Lenovo finally test those drives and approve them for release.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms