Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

04-01-2011

Austria

40 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 1 of 8

ThinkStation P900 does not boot any more

2018-01-26, 12:30 PM

Hi, 

After a shutdown and reboot of the system in the 4 digits display is a b.os / b006 code shown. 

I try to locate a description of that code but there are no clear hints. 

I also tried to reset the BIOS and load a new one but could not succeed. 

Also there is no clear descriptionin the manual what is Pin1 of JP4. When the text JP4 is readable does Pin1 mean the leftmost pin of the jumper? 

I wonder if this problem is related to the motherboard or to a failing CPU?

Any advice would be welcome. 

BR Florian 

Options

5256 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3702 Signins

51735 Page Views

• Views: 51735
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkStation P900 does not boot any more

2018-01-26, 16:15 PM

B006 indicated a hang at checkpoint 06.  From what I can tell, 06 is a checkpoint to indicate that microcode is loading.

Were there any recent BIOS updates made to the system prior to this happening?  What system BIOS were you running (if you remember)?

Clearing CMOS is certainly a good idea.  To do this, you move JP4 from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 and power the system on.  You should hear 2 beeps when CMOS clears successfully.  Once that's done, you need to move the jumper back to pins 1-2 (normal position) in order to attempt to boot the system normally.

Looking at the jumper, the pin orientation is pin3, pin2, pin1 from left to right.  Pin1 should be highlighted on the board by a white silkscreened box.  See the pic below (note that I've removed the jumper in the pic for clarity):

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

10 Posts

04-01-2011

Austria

40 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2018-01-26, 17:14 PM

Thank you for this clarification. 

I think the BIOS version is A6KT96A. One before the actual version.

So it seems that the problem is related to the motherboard.

Is there a posibility to restore the bios?

BR Florian

Options

10 Posts

04-01-2011

Austria

40 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2018-01-29, 7:37 AM

Tried to retore the BIOS but it does not work.

I set the JP4 to the position bit 2-3 and gave a BIOS DVD into the DVD drive. I have two. One slime drive with the addtional card readers and a common one. The slim drive is in the leftmost bay and the other sits in the bay in the middle. I am not sure if it is significant which dirve is used.

There is no visible access to the DVD-drive and the code b006 is displayed after two minutes.

Any advice would be welcome.

Florian

Options

5256 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3702 Signins

51735 Page Views

• Views: 51735
  • Message 5 of 8

2018-01-29, 15:29 PM

Just to clarify, the BIOS DVD you created was a disc that was burned from the ISO, and not just burning the ISO to the disc?  In order for boot block recovery to work correctly, it's critical that the DVD created has the BIOS files in the correct expected structure.

If the boot block recovery process isn't working (and there's not even an attempt to access either of the optical drives), then I suspect the error code is indicating a problem earlier in POST.  Have either of the CPUs been removed from this system?  If boot block recovery is failing, it might be worth inspecting the CPU sockets for a possible bent pin.  But that would seem highly unlikely if the CPUs were never removed from their sockets at any point.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

10 Posts

04-01-2011

Austria

40 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2018-01-29, 16:32 PM

Correct. The DVD has not the ISO file itself but the required structure.

No, the CPUs were never touched. Neither removed or changed. They are in the original configuration.

For the boot block revovery is it really only to change the JP4 and switch on the workstation? There is also another jumper telling BIOS RECOVERY (hw). But changing this, the system does not start at all.

In the current situation the LEDs over the USB connectors are dark and there is no BEEP at all. So it appears to me that the BIOS sequence is interrupted.

BR Florian

Or do I have also close case? There is

Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Views: 1874
  • Message 7 of 8

2018-01-30, 15:44 PM

Greetings fbi_ranger!

The case can be open, and as a general rule, you don't want to mess with any jumpers other than JP4.  Simply shunting JP4 pins 2-3 with the jumper should perform a CMOS reset. Attempting to start the workstation with the JP4 jumper shunting pins 2-3 will initiate the Boot Block Recovery Process.  If you do this with no media inserted (usb or optical), your system should start emitting two short beeps repeatedly and you may see LED activity in optical drive bays and/or a usb port.  If we can't get to the two beeps repeating, this may point to a serious problem with the motherboard, perhaps requiring service.

If we do get the two short beeps repeating sequence, pull the power cord, hold the power button for 5 seconds or until the capacitors discharge, replace jumper JP4 to pins 1-2, plug back in, and attempt to reboot.  Sometimes this process alone will get you back to booting.  If not, you can proceed with the properly created media, as described above, to actually complete the Boot Block Recovery Process.

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Options

1 Posts

09-19-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 8 of 8

2019-09-19, 21:42 PM

Hi,

I have also been having similar issues on P900. Previously it was showing the b006 error, then it started randomly hanging during reboots (even before showing bios screen). Sometimes it would turn on, sometimes it won't. I also tried replacing JP4 to 2-3 and back, I was able to get the two beeps, but switching it back did not fix the problem.

Was there any update on how you fixed this problem?

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms