Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

07-09-2018

United States of America

14 Signins

172 Page Views

• Views: 172
  • Message 1 of 3

ThinkStation p320 - No Internet Connection After Restart

2018-07-09, 23:09 PM

We have a good number of p320s that are starting to display a weird behavior. 

We image the devices through SCCM, no problem. We log in to ensure group policy is updated and QA the device, no problem. We restart the machine, and then all of a sudden the desktop can't pull an IP address from DHCP. No matter what we do, the ethernet adapator wont talk to dhcp, and even if we set a static IP, it still can't talk to anything. 

Usually what fixes it is waiting an abratraty amount of time and then restarting it. It will connect fine then and stay that way. We have had a few devices eventually start exhibiting this behavior again, but then randomly start working.

The only sure fire way we have found to get one of these devices online is to shut it down, unplug the etherenet cable, turn it on, log in with a users cached credentials, and then plug the ethernet cable in. It connects 100% of the time using this method.

Here is a list of the things we have tried so far.

Ipconfig/release & /rewnew

Uninstalling the device and deleting the driver

Updating the driver from 12.15.x.x to 12.17.x.x

Compared power management settings to working devices

Ive looked through the event log and haven't seen anything that stands out yet, but am hoping there is something I'm missing. The most frustrating part about this issue is that you never know what really fixed it, or if it will not come back. Any help would be appreciated!

Options

8 Posts

07-09-2018

United States of America

14 Signins

172 Page Views

• Views: 172
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkStation p320 - No Internet Connection After Restart

2018-07-11, 13:22 PM

Bump? Would love a little help with this one.

Options

5228 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3686 Signins

51545 Page Views

• Views: 51545
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkStation p320 - No Internet Connection After Restart

2018-07-11, 14:39 PM

Sorry for the delayed repsonse.

Unfrotunately I don't have any good answer here.  The symptoms you're describing sound similar to this thread, but it's tough to tell if they are the same problem with limited background on each.  With the other thread, that seems to be a loss of connectivity after the system sits idle for some amount of time, while on your end it seems to lose connectivity shortly after the imaging process has completed.

At any rate, I don't think either of these cases are caused by a HW problem...likely something in the driver, the OS, the network environment, or some combination of any/all of those.  That could make it difficult to track down.

Best I can do on my end is set up a P320 or two and see if I'm able to reproduce either of these issues.

In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, it might be worth contacting support and trying to escalate the problem through that path.  I doubt L1 support will be able to do much with this, but perhaps L2/L3 will be able to help through escalation (if they are able to reproduce something similar).

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms