C30  

System machine type and model number

11362L7  

Full hardware configuration

single proc E5-2620v2@2.1GHz

16G Ram

MSI NB400GS

Operating system used

Win7 Pro 64-bit (known only from the Windows key on the side of the case)

BIOS version 

Bios Revision Level:  A3KT33AUS

Bios Block Revision Level:  A333A

Date: 11/20/2013

I was gifted this by work, sans video card, I had the NB400 laying around so plugged that in.

When I power on, there are 2 long beeps, followed by 2 short beeps.  The 2 short beep repeat, but the 2 long do not.

Black screen, no bios

If I move the jumper, to maintenance mode, it will load the bios, which is how I got the above info.

I have attempted to reset the bios using the jumper, I have also removed the cmos battery, waited a while re-inserted and booted.

Same issue.  Pwr on, black screen, 2 long beeps, followed by 2 beeps that repeat.

Are the initial 2 long beeps normal??

If so, i would guess I need a newer video card that supports UEFI... but wanted to verify before I went and bought one.

Thank you for the assistance.

bandion
Paper Tape
Views: 316
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkstation C30 2 long 2 short beeps

I tried to use a GeForce 1050 TI, and received the same beeps.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 262
Message 3 of 5

What jumper are you moving specifically?  A picture might be best for this.

Assuming you're changing the clear CMOS jumper, there's no way your system should boot to the BIOS setup menu when it's in the clear position.  To me, it almost sounds as though the system might have been delivered to you with the jumper in the clear position, but that's just a guess.

The image below should show the clear CMOS jumper (JP4) with the pins identified.

D30 clear CMOS.jpg

The "normal" operating position is for the jumper to be attached to pins 1-2.  The "clear" position would be with the jumper attached to pins 2-3.  If I remember correctly, there were some systems that had an error on the service label where it wasn't correctly identifying the pins, but the above info should be correct.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
bandion
Paper Tape
Views: 235
Message 4 of 5

Thank you,  this is indeed what my issue was.

I made faulty assumptions when I moved the jumper to "reset" the bios because when it booted, it showed error codes 135 (Fan failure) and 162 (Bios integrity failure)...  but saving the bios corrected both errors.

Thank you  again

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 225
Message 5 of 5

No problem...glad you got it working.  I guess just like off-lease cars, you never know what you'll get sometimes Smiley Happy

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors