cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeGalano
Punch Card
Views: 373
Message 1 of 6

Thinkstation D30 4353 Windows 10 NVMe boot drive.

I was wondering if you can use a NVMe drive in this system with windows 10 as a boot drive.  Some say you can and others say you cant.  So before I invest in one was wondering if it can support it

Lenovo Employee PfatMan
Lenovo Employee
Views: 356
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkstation D30 4353 Windows 10 NVMe boot drive.

MikeGalano,

Short answer, no the D30 will not support booting to NVMe drives, as this functionality was not available at the time of the D30 development. Please see the following forum post for further discussion of this topic:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation-Workstations/NVMe-on-S30/td-p/2144981

MikeGalano
Punch Card
Views: 229
Message 3 of 6

Ok you can use NVMe drives as a boot drive but you have to use a workaround method to get it to work.  If you just try to do an install with a windows 10 the drive does show up as a drive you can install it on.  The only problem with that is there is no bios option to set the drive as a boot drive.  The workaround I used was to use a boot loader.  I used clover to format a drive in the MSATA slot and then used it as the bootloader for installing Windows on the NVMe drive.  Seems to work fine for me.  On thinkg though Im only running it at PCIe 2x speeds wonder why.  I do have the Ivey Bridge E5 2643 v2 CPus and it still running at 2X speeds any Ideas why that is? 

Lenovo Employee PfatMan
Lenovo Employee
Views: 216
Message 4 of 6

Hi - I'm really glad you were able to get your system up and running via the bootloader you mentioned. As to your question about the slow PCIe speeds, I don't have an answer right off, since this configuration is unsupported and would therefore never have been tested. Have you gone through the Windows 10 driver list to ensure that all of your drivers are up to date? Have you made sure that your BIOS is at the latest version that is on the support site (A3KT67A or A1KT61A, depending on which MTM you have)?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 204
Message 5 of 6

Which slot is your NVMe drive installed in?

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Highlighted
MikeGalano
Punch Card
Views: 190
Message 6 of 6

Its in the number 1 slot. Next to the CPUs. I figured it out. was the video card. Don't know why if you have a older slower video card why the pcie bus runs at only 2.0 speed. I tried with a newer card and got it running at 3x

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors