Options

2 Posts

06-22-2020

US

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 5

Thinkstation E31 2553 not booting/no video output anymore - CMOS clearing not possible

2020-06-22, 17:57 PM

Hi,

I have a Lenovo 

Thinkstation E31 2553

Model: 1D2

MFG-date: 1302

(Nvidia Quadro 2000 installed)

which is not giving any video output anymore (from BIOS, there is no HDD connected). After experiencing a lot of troubles getting a Linux distro booting I was testing some settings in the BIOS regarding legcy booting. After activating the option Load optimal defaults for OS the system was not booting anymore (no output from BIOS). Putting the CMOS jumper to reset postion and power on was giving 2 short beeps in sequence, ok, so jumper back to normal position and reboot was giving 2 long beeps but no video output anymore. 

I have tried:

• display at Nvidia Quadro or onboard video output (VGA) - no output
  • repeated the clearing of CMOS - no change
  • removed Nvidia quadro and cleard CMOS - no change, no output after reinstallting Nvidia

It seems that the mainboard or the Bios is quite buggy, before I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version (update file name: 9sjt9busa) but this was not improving my boot problem.

So I already had to clear the BIOS several times, always after doing some testing with the BIOS settings (because of boot problem). Clearing was always successful. But no I have a deadlock.

What else can I try?

Chris

Solved! See the solution
Options

4513 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3416 Signins

47665 Page Views

• Views: 47665
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Thinkstation E31 2553 not booting/no video output anymore - CMOS clearing not possible

2020-06-22, 20:14 PM

Any chance you can post a video of the 2 long beep sequence?  That doesn't sound familiar to me off the top of my head.

It sounds like you've already taken a lot of the normal debug steps that I would have recommended.  I think this is the case, but can you confirm that you're also not able to get the system to boot properly using the onboard graphics (assuming your CPU supports that) after clearing CMOS?

One other thing you could try would be to do a full BIOS recovery.  It's an extension of the clear CMOS process where you would also provide a BIOS recovery image that the system could use to recover BIOS.  Typically I recommend using the BIOS ISO file to create a CD or DVD from that ISO, then have that CD/DVD installed in the system during the CMOS clear process.  After the 2 beep sequence, it should jump to the BIOS recovery process if it's able to find a valid BIOS image on the disc.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

2 Posts

06-22-2020

US

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

Re:Thinkstation E31 2553 not booting/no video output anymore - CMOS clearing not possible

2020-06-23, 20:12 PM

Hi psuturtle,

the procedure with the Bios recovery CD was successful. With jumper at clear postion the PC was booting from the CDrom and then the Lenovo Bios utility appeared at the DVI output of the Nvidia graphics cards. After the Bios recovery the PC was powered down. Jumper back to normal postition, power on and the Bios start screen appeared. Great!

I even could reproduce the problem. Just activate "OS Optimal defaults", save and reboot PC. Then there is no video output anymore and the PC also doesn't boot from the internal

SSD as it was doing before. Set CMOS jumper to clear, power on, two short beeps, power off. Set jumper to normal position again, power on, two long beeps, but no display output and no boot. Deadlock again.

Set jumper again to clear CMOS and insert BIOS recovery CD, power on, two long beeps then two short beeps and the PC boots from the CD, then the magic happens and the Bios update utility appears.

After flashing the Bios again, power down. Done. Quite easy. But why? It is a bit anoying doing a lot of Bios recoveries for testing some settings in the Bios.

But now I am back at my old problems. It cannot boot from a Debian linux distro but it can boot the same hardware from an ubuntu server distro. That makes me crazy.

If you deactivate in the Bios CSM feature then the same happens. No display output anymore, no boot. But this state can be resolved by clearing the CMOS with the jumper, there is no need for using the Bios recovery CD. Quite strange, isn't it?

To me it looks that there is something broken (HW), this is quality hardware and software, not a no-name mainboard. I can not believe that this is normal feature of the BIOS software.

Chris

Options

4513 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3416 Signins

47665 Page Views

• Views: 47665
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-06-23, 21:25 PM

There might be some confusion here as to how BIOS is actually operating.  Despite it's name, loading OS Optimized Defaults (or changing that setting to enable/disable) does not load any sort of BIOS setup defaults for all of the settings as they shipped from the factory.  OS Optimized Defaults is really a global BIOS switch type of setting that, when enabled, will go in and change several BIOS settings to different values to support different features.  Typically we use OS Optimized Defaults set to enabled to support UEFI, disable the CSM, set secure boot to active, and probably one or two more things that are escaping me right now.

So, let's say you have a GPU that supports only legacy BIOS via its OPROM.  If you go in and set OS Optimized Defaults to enabled, it's likely going to lead to an OPROM error during POST because BIOS is going to be forced to look for a UEFI video OPROM which it isn't going to find if the card is legacy only.  If that happens, clearing CMOS should reset the BIOS settings enough to hopefully get you booting again.  Recovering BIOS each time shouldn't be necessary, but your situation might be slightly different.  That's just one example to try to illustrate the point.

If you want to load BIOS setup defaults, F9 should accomplish that.  Clearing CMOS via the jumper should also reset BIOS settings to the way they were from the factory.

One thing to note here is that these are general statements as to how OS Optimized Defaults usually works on our ThinkStation platforms.  E31 is rather old and I don't happen to have one on hand right now to double check all the details, so some of the details might be different or not apply to that specific platform.

Hope that helps.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

06-22-2020

US

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-06-24, 6:24 AM

Ok, thanks for the detailed and quick response. Great support.

Stay healthy!

Chris

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete