Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patricko16
Paper Tape
Views: 150
Message 11 of 18

Re: Thinkstation P330 extra SSD and wifi

I couldn't get the red post out either and also didn't want to break it.

I just put the PCB into the slot at about a 45 degree angle and pushed it down until I think I got it to between 5-10 degrees and figured that was adequate. 

incisionnetwork
Paper Tape
Views: 148
Message 12 of 18

I just figured it out. With a bit of force, that red post will slide out of the bottom exposing the post about halfway, then I was able to insert the wlan card and then put the red post tab back in perfectly.

It does require some tugging but pull from the top and it'll come out, not too hard because then you can break the plastic tab that's on it as well Smiley Happy I hope this helps someone else. 

68983182_941423396206469_6376182678114271232_n.jpg

Patricko16
Paper Tape
Views: 146
Message 13 of 18

Thanks for that! I will go back and do that to mine.

incisionnetwork
Paper Tape
Views: 144
Message 14 of 18

You're very welcome. Now all that is left is the antennas :-)

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 122
Message 15 of 18

Sorry, just now catching up to the tail end of this thread.

Yes, the red retainer piece will "split" open such that the base should remain attached to the black plastic card holder and the top will lift open and expose a pin.  Once you insert the wifi card, then you can push the plunger back into place and the card should be fully retained.  It was done like that to keep the retention design tool-less.  Admittedly, it's not my favorite design and I think it could stand to be improved.  Screws have their own drawbacks as the screws used to typically retain M.2 drives are very small and can be easily lost.

For the front antenna, it should be a small piece of metal with a sitcky back.  That piece should attach to the front wall of the chassis behind the bezel.  Basically, pop the bezel off, and look for the bare spot of unpainted metal on the front outside wall of the chassis.  There should be two small detents there that you can use to align the front antenna when sticking it into place.  The cable will need to be routed back through the front wall and connected to the wifi card.  Agree that this part is challenging....those connectors are tiny.

Let me know if you need pics.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
incisionnetwork
Paper Tape
Views: 120
Message 16 of 18

Pics would be very helpful as I am a visual person. I think I have a good idea of what your suggesting to do but photos are really helpful. I will receive the antenna kit tomorrow afternoon and look forward to adding wifi wlan to the P330.

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 114
Message 17 of 18

Sure no problem.

Here's the red plunger assembly opened up:

P330 red plunger.JPG

Here's where the front antenna will install.  Note that I used the hole below this unpainted section to route the antenna cable.  It should clear the bezel in this spot.

P330 front ant location.JPG

Here's the front antenna installed:

P330 front ant installed.JPG

Here's the rear antenna location.  Again you can note the hole used to route the antenna cable into the chassis.

P330 rear ant location.JPG

Here's the rear antenna installed:

P330 rear ant installed.JPG

Here's the rear antenna cover installed.  Note that it should use the two hole below and single hole above the antenna to secure to the rear wall.

P330 rear ant cover.JPG

Finally, here's the wifi card installed.  Note that there is a small clear plastic cover that goes over the antenna connectors on the wifi card (once they are attached) to try to help keep them from becoming dislodged.  I was able to slide this cover on carefully after the antennas were attached.  Then you can carefully install it to the slot on the board and close up the plunger.  The cover shouldn't interfere with the plunger if done correctly.

P330 wifi card installed with cover.JPG

Hope that helps.  Let us know if you run into any issues.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Patricko16
Paper Tape
Views: 94
Message 18 of 18

thanks for all of that!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors