Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-16-2016

United States of America

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 1 of 5

Thinkstation P410 fails to boot after BIOS update

2018-01-10, 17:49 PM

I have a Thinkstation P410 workstation and am unable to get the workstation to boot. I recently installed a BIOS update via the Lenovo Vantage software. The installation appeared to complete successfully and it asked me to reboot the workstation. Upon reboot the workstation boots to the Lenovo screen but does not proceed further. No options appear for entering the BIOS setup or for booting an operating system.  There are no apparent beep codes. I believe the version of BIOS installed by Lenovo Vantage is S00KT55A.

Does anyone have any suggestions for restoring the BIOS so that the workstation can successfully boot?

Thanks!

Options

5254 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3701 Signins

51720 Page Views

• Views: 51720
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkstation P410 fails to boot after BIOS update

2018-01-10, 17:55 PM

There is a recovery process that should hopefully get your system back up and working, but let's check a few things before we go down that path.

When you're attempting to boot, you mention you see the Lenovo logo screen.  Does your keyboard ever become active (i.e. does the num-lock LED light up)?  If so, even though the prompt might not be there, are you able to hit F1 to try to send the system into BIOS setup?  Note that you might need to keep hitting F1 during POST right after you see the num-lock LED light up.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Views: 1874
  • Message 3 of 5

2018-01-10, 18:56 PM

Hello rmj1015!

In addition to psuturtle's great advice, it's also a good idea to perform a power cycle or power pull after firmware updates.  After a successful flash is complete (BUT NEVER BEFORE) pull the power cord to the PSU and hold the power button in for 5 seconds or until the capacitors are discharged (you can check this by making sure it will no longer attempt to power up with the power cable detached).  

Sometimes, after a BIOS or other firmware flash, the system will reboot once or twice (with some under the hood things happening we don't want to interfere with) before proceeding into your OS. 

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Options

4 Posts

07-16-2016

United States of America

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 4 of 5

2018-01-10, 23:45 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, although the keyboard and mouse both receive power (the keyboard backlight comes on), pressing F1 repeatedly has no effect (the monitor continues to show the lenovo screen). Additionally, I tried pulling the power (after shutting the system down), holding the power button for five seconds to discharge the capacitors, plugging the power cord back in and powering the system up. The monitor shows the Lenovo screen.

When the system powers up, the hard drives spin up (both internal and external), and the DVD drive powers up (I assume all of this is part of POST procedures). Additionally, both the keyboard and mouse (connected via USB) receive power. However, pressing the Num Lock key has no effect (the num lock light stays off).

Please let me know if you need any additional details regarding my system.

Options

5254 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3701 Signins

51720 Page Views

• Views: 51720
  • Message 5 of 5

2018-01-11, 5:19 AM

I noticed you mentioned an external HDD.  Does the same scenario play out if you try removing the drive (or drives) during POST?  It almost sounds like BIOS is stuck waiting for something to time out before proceeding.  Is there any other "non-standard" hardware or peripherals installed?

Also when the system appears stuck, I think you're saying hitting the num lock (or caps lock, etc.) key has no effect on the keyboard?  In other words, the keyboard LED is not toggling when pressing the appropriate key?

At a last resort, you could try following the procedure for a boot block recovery.  This procedure is highlighted here.  But the basic steps are listed below:

1.  Go download the CD ISO version of the latest BIOS (P410 BIOS ISO).

2.  Create a CD or DVD from that ISO.  Do not simply burn the ISO to a disk.  Double clicking the file on a win7 system should bring up the option to create a disc from the ISO.

3.  Power the system down, remove AC power.  Locate the clear CMOS jumper and move it from pins 1-2 (normal position) to pins 2-3 (clear position).

4.  Apply AC power and insert the CD/DVD to the optical drive.  A USB optical will also work if necessary.

5.  Boot the system to the optical drive.  The system should go through the BIOS recovery process on it's own.  For P410, I think you will get video sync and some prompts may appear on the screen.  Follow the prompts until the process completes.

6.  When done, the system should shut down on it's own.  Remove AC power and move the clear CMOS jumper back to pins 1-2.  Hook everything back up and you should hopefully be able to boot the system normally.

Note:  This recovery process will clear out any BIOS settings you might have changed from default.  So you'll likely have to go back into BIOS setup and change any settings as needed.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms