Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

11-15-2017

United States of America

31 Signins

391 Page Views

• Views: 391
  • Message 1 of 2

Thinkstation P510 printing black & white to Xerox color printer

2021-03-09, 18:11 PM

tl, dr:  If your Thinkstation only prints black and white to your old Xerox color printer, try the Xerox Postscript driver instead of the Xerox PCL driver.

Situation:   Thinkstation P510 running Win 10 x64 version 20H2.  Went through the usual Add-a-Printer dialogue to setup printing to my old Xerox Phaser 6180 color printer.  Problem:  no color on any printed output, only grayscale.  

Troubleshooting Steps:

1.  Verify that I asked for a color print.  There is a 'print-in-color' setting in the print dialogue, and that option was set on all my sample jobs.  No user error there; nothing but grayscale out of the printer regardless of the 'color' setting.  

2.  Verify that the Xerox color printer does, in fact, print color natively.  This particular printer comes with a beautiful "demo page" that shows off the color capabilities of the printer.  The demo page prints just fine when called forth from the menu commands on the printer.  So, it's not a hardware issue or a toner issue on the printer.

3.  Verify that the issue is localized to the Thinkstation.  Two Thinkpads, three Apple MacBook Pros, and one old Dell all have no issues getting color output out of the Xerox 6180.  Only the Thinkstation produces grayscale when color was called for.  Hmmm.  

4.  Try an older known working driver from one of the Thinkpads.  I keep a copy of all the print drivers that I install.  I have a Thinkpad that is also running Win 10 x64 20H2.  Simple enough to remove the printer from the Thinkstation, and then add it back again, only this time supplying the older known working driver file from the Thinkpad manually.  Result:  still no joy; nothing but grayscale when color was called for on a print job.

5.  Go back out to Xerox support site, poke around.  Decide to download the Postscript (PS) driver instead of the PCL driver.  My prior driver installs had all been PCL drivers, including the 'known, working driver' from the Thinkpad.  Drop and re-add the printer on the Thinkstation again, this time manually supplying the PS driver.  Result:  bingo.  So my Thinkstation is a closet Postscript snob.  So noted. 

No idea why my Thinkstation prefers Postscript. 

Answer
Options

162 Posts

07-14-2015

United States of America

282 Signins

2107 Page Views

• Views: 2107

Re:Thinkstation P510 printing black & white to Xerox color printer

2021-03-09, 23:01 PM

This is very odd, but thanks for the detailed troubleshooting steps you have outlined. I can't think of any reason why this is happening and I have not heard this reported elsewhere.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

162 Posts

07-14-2015

United States of America

282 Signins

2107 Page Views

• Views: 2107
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Thinkstation P510 printing black & white to Xerox color printer

2021-03-09, 23:01 PM

This is very odd, but thanks for the detailed troubleshooting steps you have outlined. I can't think of any reason why this is happening and I have not heard this reported elsewhere.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms