Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

05-03-2009

germany

25 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 1 of 5

Thinkstation S10 Fan Problems

2009-05-03, 15:59 PM

Hello altogether, looks like i definitely need some help:

i have a thinkstation s10 (latest bios). as the rear 92mm case fan and the front - i think it was 80mm - hd-bay fan were producing a terrible noise i decided to replace them. i therefore bought 2 fans by ebmpapst 1: 3412 N/2GLE 2: 712F/2L

Both start working when the thinkstation performs its fan test at the startup - but both also quit working after this procedure, however somenoise is coming out of the fan so i assume it be recieving power.

I can only explain this by a lack of voltage that is delivered by the mainboard -combined with the higher voltage that papst fans use to operate. does anyone know about the facts of the lenovo mainboard?and has any idea how to cope with this problem? those were expensive fans it would be a shame if i couldnt get them to work!

best

daniel

thinkstation s10
Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkstation S10 Fan Problems

2009-05-04, 4:11 AM

welcome to the forum!

first of all, i would check polarity on the connectors to make sure the pins on your new fans match the pins on the old fans.   while they should be in the correct order, it's better to check than to assume and be incorrect.

if the pins are in the correct order then it's likely that your aftermarket fans use different specs than what the S10 requires.   since i don't know specifically what these requirements are, i would suggest calling lenovo service to replace your factory fans under warranty instead of trying to fix the problem on your own.   fans included in every thinkstation model should be below 25~26 db.   anything making a "terrible" noise is a warranty issue and will be handled by service.

good luck!

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

11 Posts

05-03-2009

germany

25 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 3 of 5

2009-05-05, 23:08 PM

erik,

thank you for your quick response. as polarity is correct it definitely seems that the thinkstation does not deliver enough power to get the fans to work. i do not dare to ask if there's a way to tell the mainboard to send e.g. 6volts instead of 5 when the system is idle and the fans usually run at low rpm.

actually my system is a used one which was initially sold without warranty (according to the lenovo online warranty check) so it looks as if i'll have to try...and try...and try...hardware incompatibilities seemed far away after 10 years on macintosh...

kinds 

thinkstation s10
Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 4 of 5

2009-05-06, 0:33 AM

fan voltage is likely set in the BIOS and therefore cannot be altered by the end user.   thinkstation BIOSes are locked in place since these are workstations -- no overclocking or playing with various voltages like on some aftermarket motherboards.

the original fans in your system should have part numbers.   it would be worth searching online for those numbers to try and reference input and load voltages so you can find matching fans.   my recommendation is still going to be to have service replace your original fans.   this seems like the easiest and most reliable path to take.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

128 Posts

10-22-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

241 Signins

2214 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2214
  • Message 5 of 5

2009-06-22, 11:24 AM

Daniel,

I can confirm that there's no problem with your fans, nor your bios. Though your S10 does not have PWM connectors on the mainboard for the case fans, but it actually regulates the speeds itself getting any standard fan to work as a PWM fan.

The fact that both of your new fans run up to their maximum speed at the startup boot check, is a sign that everything is ok. Fans all have different dynamic friction levels, in your case the papst fans have a rather high dynamic friction level, such that with the idle voltage fed by the mainboard they do not remain spinning after the initial check sequence. However if and when the temperature is detected by the bios to be rising inside your case, it will eventually feed enough voltage to get your fans spinning and hence lower the case temperature. 

Remedy: Try getting yourself a different brand, and with a bit of luck you will notice that they will indeed spin when idle. Nexus fans are the ones I have for all three case fans, and all three spin at a very low RPM when idling.

Cheers,

Mario

PS. You will also encounter an option in your bios to set the Acoustic Levels of the fans. Opions are: Silent, Normal, High. Your S10 is a true well built machine :smileyvery-happy:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms