Options

4 Posts

06-29-2020

AU

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 8

Thinkstation S20 motherboard no posting (71Y8820)

2020-06-29, 8:41 AM

Hello. I'm new here and I would like some help from you guys.

I have an s20 motherboard based diy system (with an X5687) which had been working for months until yesterday I decided to disassemble the whole thing for a clean up for my pc case. After that all of a sudden my pc has stopped working as after I plug in the computer, it does not do its self-boot-and-shut-down test like it did before, before I can turn it on myself. Now it only lights up the green bulb on the psu and when I boot the computer up, it stays on and there is no posting and no video output. And whenever I try force shutting down the computer by unplugging it, it will restart itself as I plug it again and stay on without posting and video output.

I've checked to my best knowledge all the possibilities that can lead to this eventuality. I have the same 625w psu as the one on a proper S20 workstation. All the 3 12V power connectors (4 pin aux, 10 pin cpu, 24 pin motherboard) are properly connected. I have tried replacing the X5687 with a nehalem W5590. I have tried using one stick of UDIMM ECC (on slot DIMM1) instead of 2. I have tried replacing the graphics card. I've also tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper and replacing the battery. Have had no luck so far. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

My specs:

CPU: X5687 at stock speed

motherboard: 71Y8820

RAM: 2 sticks of kingston ddr3 1333mhz UDIMM ECC (on DIMM1 and 2)

storage: 500gb hdd sata

Graphics card: RX580 8 gb

psu: acbel fs8003

Solved! See the solution
Options

4513 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3416 Signins

47665 Page Views

• Views: 47665
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Thinkstation S20 motherboard no posting (71Y8820)

2020-06-29, 18:16 PM

The best thing to do in this situation is a "bare bones" approach to debug in that you should start be removing as many variables from the equation as possible.  So remove any drives, peripherals, etc. and try booting the system with just the bare system requirements (CPU, memory, GPU).  

If that doesn't get you anywhere, you can back up even further and pull the GPU and memory and just try to get the system to power on with the CPU to see if you can get it to output the expected no memory error beep sequence.  That will at least tell you the system is powering on and to some level is executing code in BIOS/POST.

In just looking at the details provided it sounds like you've done a solid check of all of the necessary power cables and such.  One thing that immediately pops out as a potential concern would be the CPU socket if you were swapping out CPUs.  Do a thorough visual inspection of the CPU socket/pin array to see if there might be any bent pins within the socket.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

4 Posts

06-29-2020

AU

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2020-06-30, 1:46 AM

Thanks for the reply. Just now I installed a speaker onto the mobo and now it gives out this 1-3-3-1 beep sequence. A search online suggests memory related issues. I tried removing all of the memory sticks, swapping the sticks between DIMM1 and 2, trying out each stick on DIMM1 or 2.

Later I replaced the cpu with another one (an x5675) that was working before all of this happened. Now it doesn't even beep and there is still no posting.

Btw here are the photos of the cpu socket. As far as my naked eye can see there is no damage. But maybe you can see otherwise?

Still no luck so far. Any insight into this? Thanks. 

Options

4 Posts

06-29-2020

AU

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2020-06-30, 2:21 AM

Here is another one.

Options

4513 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3416 Signins

47665 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2020-06-30, 20:30 PM

I don't see any major issues with the CPU socket.  If you're hearing that 1-3-3-1 beep sequence, that is certainly pointing to some sort of memory issue.  I would double check  your DIMM seating and making sure you're following the prescribed DIMM slot fill order (which should be illustrated on the system label inside the system door).  Note that S20 only supports ECC UDIMMs.  It doesn't sound like you changed any HW, so definitely check using only a single DIMM in slot 1 to see if you can isolate the problem.  If neither DIMM works in slot 1, then try moving on to a single DIMM in slot 2 just to see if you can get it to POST correctly.  Maybe also check the DIMM slots for dirt/debris that might have been induced during the teardown/rebuild process.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

4 Posts

06-29-2020

AU

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2020-07-01, 9:55 AM

Sorry for the no beeping report with the X5675, that was actually my forgetting to plug in the 10 pin cpu connector. 

However, I am still having the same 1-3-3-1 beeping problem. As you suggested, I have tried as many configurations as I can. Single-stick on DIMM1, or 2, or 3, or even the extension slot 4. Tried a triple channel configuration with a generic set of three 4 GB ddr3 non-ecc sticks. Tried booting the system without any memory module. Nothing but disappointment.

What's most perplexing is that before I discovered the problem, I had left the cpu and the memory modules as they were on the mobo, even when I disassembled and rebuilt the system after some cleaning.

I wonder if I have missed anything when I rebuilt the system, so here are some pictures of my build as it is now (excuse the messy wiring, can't be bothered for now). Maybe you guys can spot some mistakes related to the problem? Thanks

BTW i was not specific about the model of memory sticks for my build, they are two kvr16e11s8/4kf sticks.

Options

4513 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3416 Signins

47665 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2020-07-02, 13:43 PM

Ahhh...you neglected to mention that the guts of your S20 have been relocated to a new non-Lenovo chassis :)

If you're comfortable in doing so, it might be worth attempting to pull the board and PSU from the case and seeing if you can get it to power up properly outside of the chassis (taking the normal precautions for doing this in a bench-like setup).  Obviously I don't know the details of your chassis, but I'm wondering if there might be something shorting to the back side of the motherboard since S20 isn't necessarily a standard board design.  Perhaps there's a standoff/mount in an area that is shorting to the board or something that was introduced when you disassembled the system for cleaning.  Basically, I'd try eliminating the case/chassis as a variable if you are comfortable in doing so.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

06-29-2020

AU

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2020-07-04, 3:07 AM

It worked! Removed the whole platform out of the case and now it boots up normally. Never thought that simple metal box and bad contact would be the root of the misery. Thank you so much for your help.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete