Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

30 Posts

11-16-2019

United States of America

12 Signins

205 Page Views

• Views: 205
  • Message 21 of 35

Re:Thinkstation S30 4351 BIOS flash problem

2021-08-03, 2:58 AM

we had a lot of post for this topic , some inutil and I m sorry for that.

I think this will be my last one here , but I hope you revive it and let us know. 

So basically if you can copy the bios from working s30 , it may work to edit and modify the mac before flash on problematic board .

Or lenovo may give you some intel images that you can flash on your cip

I wish you luck!

Options

38 Posts

01-21-2018

United States of America

33 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 22 of 35

2021-08-03, 3:14 AM

@ Gigixxyyzz wrote:

we had a lot of post for this topic , some inutil and I m sorry for that.

I think this will be my last one here , but I hope you revive it and let us know. 

So basically if you can copy the bios from working s30 , it may work to edit and modify the mac before flash on problematic board .

Or lenovo may give you some intel images that you can flash on your cip

I wish you luck!

Thanks very much!  Your help has been greatly appreciated.  You pointed me at some new and very interesting sources of information for this and that's valuable all by itself.

I'm hopeful that Lenovo can come up with a proper recovery procedure here, because it doesn't make sense for there to not be one for this contingency.  It certainly makes no sense to toss an otherwise perfectly good motherboard when all that's needed is to flash a good BIOS image to it.

Whatever happens here, it'll be very interesting regardless.

Options

30 Posts

11-16-2019

United States of America

12 Signins

205 Page Views

• Message 23 of 35

2021-08-03, 3:22 AM

I found here some bios backups for S30

https://fixbios.com/index.php?threads/lenovo-s30-workstation-bios.27619/

or this is for rev 1 but maybe your replace the uefi bios in it and make it a rev 2

https://www.eeprombuy.com/2019/05/dump-bios-lenovo-thinkstation-s30-0606.html?m=1

maybe one of them works

Let us know 

Options

5269 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3709 Signins

51815 Page Views

• Views: 51815
  • Message 24 of 35

2021-08-03, 3:30 AM

Thanks for confirming the jumper in question.  Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a simple oversight, but it sounds like you zeroed in on the right one.

I think you're both on the right path here.  We don't typically offer the full 16MB SPI image file to the public, and if I recall correctly this is due to security concerns.  

All production boards come with soldered SPIs...none are socketed on production ThinkStation boards.

I'm certainly not a BIOS expert, but I'm guessing the point of corruption in your current image might be in a location that is part of a protected area, which is possibly why recovery is not working properly.  Let me get this sent over to our BIOS team and see what they might have to offer.  The simplest answer is probably to get the full SPI image as you mentioned...I'm just not sure that's something I can provide.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

38 Posts

01-21-2018

United States of America

33 Signins

276 Page Views

• Message 25 of 35

2021-08-03, 3:41 AM

@ Gigixxyyzz wrote:

I found here some bios backups for S30

https://fixbios.com/index.php?threads/lenovo-s30-workstation-bios.27619/

or this is for rev 1 but maybe your replace the uefi bios in it and make it a rev 2

https://www.eeprombuy.com/2019/05/dump-bios-lenovo-thinkstation-s30-0606.html?m=1

maybe one of them works

Let us know 

Ugh, they demand that you actually give them money in order to download images (I only discovered this after registering with fixbios.com).  Thanks for pointing me at that, but I'm not going to give money to some random unknown site just to download something that might not even be what they claim it to be.

Thanks for the effort, though.

Options

30 Posts

11-16-2019

United States of America

12 Signins

205 Page Views

• Message 26 of 35

2021-08-03, 3:46 AM

I see , I did not created a account to see what s next ,  I was thinking they will just download .

Please keep searching , you will find something .

Somebody said if it is a similar product you can replace the bios partition inside intel image .So maybe if even is not exactly for s30 you can combine them and get some beeps at least ,to confirm your theory. 

Have a great day all!

Options

38 Posts

01-21-2018

United States of America

33 Signins

276 Page Views

• Message 27 of 35

2021-08-03, 4:18 AM

@ psuturtle wrote:

Thanks for confirming the jumper in question.  Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a simple oversight, but it sounds like you zeroed in on the right one.

I think you're both on the right path here.  We don't typically offer the full 16MB SPI image file to the public, and if I recall correctly this is due to security concerns.  

All production boards come with soldered SPIs...none are socketed on production ThinkStation boards.

I'm certainly not a BIOS expert, but I'm guessing the point of corruption in your current image might be in a location that is part of a protected area, which is possibly why recovery is not working properly.  Let me get this sent over to our BIOS team and see what they might have to offer.  The simplest answer is probably to get the full SPI image as you mentioned...I'm just not sure that's something I can provide.

Due to "security concerns"?   Seriously?   When someone can just read the image directly off of the chip?  Honestly, I suspect it has more to do with copyright concerns than anything else.  Guess it would depend on the terms and conditions that AMI imposes upon Lenovo for these things.

I already am able to read and write the BIOS chip via SPI.  I have a hot air station and sufficient soldering equipment and skill to remove the existing chip and replace it if that had proven necessary, but you can see from my prior messages that the BIOS chip itself is fully functional.

If there were regions that couldn't be read from the BIOS chip via SPI, the "flashrom" utility I'm using would either complain about it or would return data that didn't match the image I attempted to flash the chip with.  The fact that I can flash 16MB image files in their entirety and read them out in their entirety, without loss or corruption in either direction, is proof that there isn't a problem with being able to read the entirety of the chip this way.  The chip itself is a 16MB chip so it's clear I'm getting the entirety of its contents and am able to flash it in its entirety as well.  So we can safely say that there are no protected regions that are interfering here.

Recovery isn't working almost certainly because recovery requires that the CPU and RAM be properly initialized, and that requires code from the original BIOS chip.  The probability of corruption of that area was probably deemed very low.  Nevertheless, that appears to be what has happened here.

Anyway, at a minimum I'm going to need to know what I need to change in the full SPI image to preserve the characteristics of the .  In particular, I'll need to know where in the original image to find those things so that I can make changes in the right places in the new image to match.

For what it's worth, the version of the BIOS that the motherboard has is A2KT45AUS, based on a search for "AUS" in the image I pulled from the chip.

By the way, just for grins, I burned a CD with the BIOS update ISO (yes, I burned the image directly to the disk), put a stick of RAM into the motherboard, hooked up a DVD drive to the system, put the CD into the drive, and powered it up with the BIOS jumper set to span pins 2 and 3.  And as expected, it just sat there.  There were no attempts to read from the drive.  So we can safely say that the standard recovery procedure does not work when the BIOS on the motherboard is corrupted in the "right" way.

Options

5269 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3709 Signins

51815 Page Views

• Views: 51815
  • Message 28 of 35

2021-08-03, 20:22 PM

I'll shoot you a private message with some additional information on this topic.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

38 Posts

01-21-2018

United States of America

33 Signins

276 Page Views

• Message 29 of 35

2021-08-03, 20:26 PM

@ psuturtle wrote:

I'll shoot you a private message with some additional information on this topic.

Awesome, thanks!

Answer
Options

30 Posts

11-16-2019

United States of America

12 Signins

205 Page Views

• Message 30 of 35

2021-08-03, 21:57 PM

Lenovo support is great as usual,

I also managed to find you a full SPI backup for your  S30 https://github.com/SuperThunder/HP_Z420_Z620_Z820_BootBlock_Upgrade/files/4128499/S30.zip

Ignore the hp part of the link and just try it , is 16 mb for s30 v2 pch

Let us know if your board works

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms