Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

07-11-2016

United States of America

18 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 11 of 18

Re: Thinkstation S30 PCIe Version?

2017-12-21, 0:03 AM

After running the patch again to revert the changes, it indeed fell back to a PCIe Gen2 link. I'm thinking that the GeForce driver installer might be incorrectly detecting the chipset or CPU family. The workstation works perfectly reguardless! Thanks again for the assistance!

Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Views: 1874
  • Message 12 of 18

2017-12-21, 15:38 PM

Hello again,

It's likely WAD or working-as-designed as they say.

I wasn't around then, but from what psuturtle is saying, it sounds like PCIe 3.0 wasn't fully qualified on the pre-refresh SB-EP S30's. 

For the stability and industry certifications that many workstation customers require, and various other reasons, a lot of times what these machines are capable of is a superset of what we can officially support. 

Nvidia had to make a similar determination in nerfing these cards by default in the standard release drivers for hardware running on the X79 platform, so that they could be assured of the widest compatibility with different motherboard implementations.  If you threw your GTX1060 in a board with a newer chipset, it would likely fire up at gen 3.0 right off the bat.

You might want to at least stress or benchmark the cards you plan to use with the patch enabled, to make sure that when exercised you don't get BSODs or other failures.  If you do experience instability, I'd just run at gen 2.0 to be safe.

If I have time I'm going to continue testing this case, I'm curious as to whether PCIe 3.0 Quadro cards will display the same behavior, and if the behavior changes pre- and post- refresh.

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Options

5254 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3701 Signins

51720 Page Views

• Views: 51720
  • Message 13 of 18

2017-12-22, 4:37 AM

wrote:

Sorry if I posted misinformation, didn't mean to claim that pre-refresh S30's could be updated with Ivy Bridge, but did want to point out at least in some cases that post-refresh S30's with Sandy Bridge CPUs were upgraded to IB, unless this page is in error:  https://support.lenovo.com/ae/en/solutions/ht079390

The link you posted (which I think was a tip I might have originally written ;)) specifically calls out "post refresh" machine types, and was done so to address a condition that could have come up if post refresh platforms built with Sandy Bridge were ever upgraded to Ivy Bridge in the field.  That upgrade would have been supported because the platforms in question were post-refresh platforms that had the necessary BIOS (and ME FW 8.X code) to support Ivy Bridge.  It just so happens that post-refresh systems could support both, mainly due to a request to continue to support some Sandy Bridge SKUs that didn't have equivalent SKUs in the Ivy Bridge roadmap.  This doesn't mean original base platform machine types can support Ivy Bridge, which I think is what was originally conveyed.  I'm certainly not trying to nit-pick with this, but there have probably been dozens of threads that covered Ivy Bridge support on 30-series over the years, and I want to make sure we're not contradicting the info presented in those other threads.  I know the web documentation for this topic was less than stellar, so a lot of customers (rightfully) turned to the forums looking for help.

I'll try to go back and edit some of the posts to make sure the final guidance from our team is clear.

With regard to PCIe 3.0 support on Sandy Bridge, I went back and checked some of my info from those days, and Intel clearly did not have full support for all PCIe 3.0 features with Sandy Bridge according to their own documentation.  This was corrected with the Ivy-Bridge release/update.  This is the main reason I don't want to imply in any way that base program machine types (i.e those that only supported Sandy Bridge) can support PCIe gen3.  

For the cards supported over the life of 30-series, I would have to dig into my old notes a bit further to be absolutely sure, but I think base program machine types (supporting Sandy Bridge) only qualified Quadro GPUs up through Fermi.  Nvidia supported PCIe 3.0 starting with Kepler, and I believe those cards weren't officially qualified on 30-series until the "post refresh" machine types (supporting Ivy Bridge) launced.  

So just to reiterate to the original poster, PCIe 3.0 was not officially supported on base program machine types using Sandy Bridge CPUs.  The patch posted earlier might allow the card to link/train at PCIe 3.0, but that is still not something Lenovo would officially support.  So not only would you be on your own for support with GTX cards (;)), you'd really be on your own if you chose to try to run GTX cards on a base program Sandy Bridge 30-series platform.  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Message 14 of 18

2017-12-22, 16:59 PM

Well, I didn't expect this, and don't want to cause more confusion, but I just verified that dropping a Quadro M2000 with the latest drivers in a pre-refresh S30 achieves PCIe Gen 3.0 speeds under GPU-Z.  This is with no tweaks or driver changes.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this yet, but I think it means the underlying problem is in the interplay between the consumer drivers and our platform, and that even though the pre-refresh S30's may not have been fully qualified to run PCIe Gen 3.0, they certainly can and will with the right hardware and software.

After lunch I'll test with a modern Geforce card, but we won't have the older consumer card on hand to test with.

If I've misstated anything please feel free to amend, I just want the most accurate info possible out there.

Please note: Due to my responsibilities I am often unable to quickly and reliably respond to private messages, please do not hesitate to post publicly in the appropriate forum as it will likely get you the quickest response.
Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Message 15 of 18

2017-12-22, 20:58 PM

After testing with a Geforce 1080, I notice that before the card is recognized (still a MS basic display adapter), that GPU-Z says the card reports capability of PCIe gen 3.0 x16, but that after installing the desktop drivers, it reports capability of PCIe gen 2.0 x16.  

I'll run the patch and try a few cycles of stress to see if there's any obvious blips, but I don't see any reason to explicitly fear running at the full speed.  My understanding is that PCIe 3.0 is sending the bits down the wire faster and with a scrambling algorithm to prevent too many repeated 0's or 1's slowing the whole thing down.  If the CPU can properly do that with one standards-based card, it can likely do it with another.  

My sense is that it was Nvidia's solution to their cards' timing issues with certain X79 implementations was to downclock by default for stability, thats why it's unsupported from their perspective.  

Apart from being generations newer and never qualified with the system, from Lenovo Workstation's perspective, your  cards are unsupported because they are consumer grade cards.  They're built to optimize DirectX acceleration whereas Workstation GPU workloads usally utilize CUDA, OpenGL, and nowadays various AI training methods.

If you're repurposing the box from a workstation to a desktop, you should be ok, but now you know what to look out for.

Cheers!

Options

1 Posts

01-09-2018

Albania

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 16 of 18

2018-01-09, 17:29 PM

Kitty kitty , good kitty   - kidding :) .

Just a little feedback from the patch S30 type 0606-A63 e5-1660 -0 /8GB Rdim /1tb standard hdd / Palit GTX1060 6GB Storm X 

After the patch reporting that it fixed the linkspeed for the Gen 3 , as a result also the card performance .

Futuremark 3dmark Firestrike 1.1 FHD high end test  11500 Graphic Score , ( it can get more than 12k if ssd and another 8gb added ) = Still a monster .

Options

98 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

255 Signins

1874 Page Views

• Message 17 of 18

2018-01-09, 18:09 PM

Good to hear!

I can report I left the MSI GTX 1080 stressing over a long holiday weekend in the S30 and had no problems, but that's by no means exhaustive.

If anyone experiences instability running this particular hardware and driver combo let us know.

At this point I'd either guess our boards weren't affected by the original issue or that it may be tough to generate a workload that will cause the symptoms of the issue to exhibit themselves. 

Options

6 Posts

07-15-2019

United States of America

19 Signins

212 Page Views

• Views: 212
  • Message 18 of 18

2019-07-17, 6:36 AM

Hello Everyone,  First Post!

I would like to give thanks to everyone who posted here on the S30 PCIe topic, great information all in one spot!! 

I have some questions, after seeing two members give testimonials on later model GPU's running on the S30 (pre-refresh) version.  I have a Lenovo (refurbished) ThinkStation that I bought from the outlet website (September, 2013). This tower has been great over the past 6yrs and still seems to be running strong!  So that being said, I would like to continue to use this tower and give it a few upgrades to extend it's life.  I plan to run a few design programs on it, the Adobe suite and SolidWorks professional 2019.

Specs

ThinkStation S30

MT-M:0606-XF7

Windows 7 pro, upgrading to Windows 10

Xenon E5-1650 6c/12t

16GB of 1600 ECC RAM (Kingston) with another 16GB of the same RAM to be installed (32GB total)

BluRay MDISC

1TB 7200

128GB SSD with a possible upgrade to a Samsung 860 PRO 512GB

Quadro 2000

80 PLUS GOLD power supply (610w)

On to the questions...

1. I would like to install the Nvidia Quadro K6000. Does anyone see a problem running this GPU, PCIe 3.0 compatibility, watts consumed in combination with my other components? I understand it is not officially supported by Lenovo, but I am way out of warranty, lol.  If I have to upgrade drivers or do a patch, I'm ok with that.

2. If the K6000 is not possible, I may run one or two K5000's in SLI.  I know the K5000 is certified to run on my tower. They are a fraction of what they cost 6yrs ago.  Does anyone see a problem running 2 GPU's along with my upgraded components?  I think my 610w power supply can handle it, if not, I'll install a bigger one.

Side note: I have a few brochures and white papers in hand from the 2012, 2013, 2014 era in regards to the S30.  It's interesting, some of the data. 

(PSREF) June 2013 (S30 Platform Specifications - I of III) (MT type 0568, 0569, 0606) white paper states PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots in the (Graphics adapters and GPU computing) and (Expansion slots) section. I wouldn't understand this oddity of informatoin if it were not for this thread explaining the way-it-was-designed notion.

Intel.com/products - Launch Date Q1'12 - SandyBridge-EP - E5-1650 - PCI Express Revision 3.0/ Express Lanes 40.

Maybe this is why the (pre refresh) S30's can run the GPU's designed to run PCIe 3.0 only.  Even though they were never certified to do so by Lenovo, as stated by others in this thread.  

I would like to purchase these refurbished or new components soon and it would be nice to have the forums input.

Thanks,

James

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms