Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yuridoku
Paper Tape
Views: 84
Message 1 of 3

Thinkstation p510: Turns on, but doesn't do anything else

Today, my computer suddenly had a problem.

its a P510, machine type 30B5CTO1WW

I was working and then went to the kitchen to prepare lunch for my kids, so the computer went to sleep. But when I came back, it didnt seem to want to wake up, at that moment, the front usb ports were on and there was no indication of serivice needed. I turned it off and tried rebooting, but again, same problem. the computer it self does turn on, but it doesnt provide power to any peripherals or any image to the monitors. Again, the front usb ports were on. I turned the computer off, unplugged it from the power source and all other peripherals except the monitors and waited at least 5 mins before turning it back on. again, same problem, but this time, all the usb ports in the front were no longer turning on. 

I open up the cover, disocnnected and reconnected both the main front power cable and the usb power cable, but agian, nothing. 

whats wrong with my computer? did I somehow break it?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 53
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkstation p510: Turns on, but doesn't do anything else

Is there any diagnostics LEDs lit up on the front panel?  For a typical P510 system, this would be an amber triangle warning LED that comes on either solid or blinks to indicate some sort of diagnostic error has happened.  This is usually accompanied by most of the front USB LEDs turning off, except for the diagnostic USB port (indicated by the wrench symbol) which would blink.  Based on your post, I'm going to guess that's not happening on your system, but it's good to confirm.

Do you happen to know when Windows Update is scheduled to run?  I have a hunch your system might have had some SW updates that took place which might not have completed successfully.  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
yuridoku
Paper Tape
Views: 49
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkstation p510: Turns on, but doesn't do anything else

Nope, no lights on the front except for the power and the headphone jack lights. by the time i left, there was no indication that there was going to be an update or if the system was going to restart. usually, updates are automatically done during the times i dont work, which is after midnight. 

but what really doesnt seem to be right so far is that nothing shows up on the monitors apart from the usb ports not supplying power. i have two monitors connected, both work fine (tested with a different computer). i tried connecting only one at a time, and neither one of them works with the p510. 

upon start up, the computer doesnt make a sound except for the fan running

IMG_3001.JPG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors