Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

08-19-2012

United States of America

34 Signins

203 Page Views

• Views: 203
  • Message 1 of 2

Thinkstation s30 unable to create recovery media

2018-07-16, 19:41 PM

I have a thinkstation s30 purchased in 2012 and outside of the warranty period.  I would like to create recovery disks but am unable to do so.  My desktop was originally windows 7 but upgraded to windows 10 when microsoft pushed it out.  

When I try to access the Thinkvantage Tools from the start menu, rather than opening an application I simply get redirected to the documents folder.  I see that I have a lenovo_recovery drive but when I go there it is empty.

I tried to create recovery via Lenovo's support site but when I put in my serial number it tells me "This is not a valid Windows machine for the recovery media program. Please enter the serial number for a different machine or Contact Us for further assistance."

Any help on how I can create recovery disks is appreciated.

thanks,

-bruce

Answer
Options

5031 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3600 Signins

50525 Page Views

• Views: 50525

Re: Thinkstation s30 unable to create recovery media

2018-07-16, 20:26 PM

If your system originally shipped with win7 installed, then I believe you're only entitled to win7 recovery media.  This assumes it shipped with a real win10 license and not the win10 downgrade to win7 option.

If you need to get those recovery media, I'd give support a call and see if they can get you a set (of whichever ones you're entitled to).

Alternatively, if you have win7 activated on your sytstem and you simply want to get to win10 (i.e. not any sort of Lenovo preload), you should still be able to do that by following the Win10 Media Creation Tool process.  I know I was able to make this work on a system in my lab just the other day to upgrade a system to a fully activated win10 OS.

If everything else fails, let me know and I'll see if there's something we can do to help out.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

5031 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3600 Signins

50525 Page Views

• Views: 50525
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkstation s30 unable to create recovery media

2018-07-16, 20:26 PM

If your system originally shipped with win7 installed, then I believe you're only entitled to win7 recovery media.  This assumes it shipped with a real win10 license and not the win10 downgrade to win7 option.

If you need to get those recovery media, I'd give support a call and see if they can get you a set (of whichever ones you're entitled to).

Alternatively, if you have win7 activated on your sytstem and you simply want to get to win10 (i.e. not any sort of Lenovo preload), you should still be able to do that by following the Win10 Media Creation Tool process.  I know I was able to make this work on a system in my lab just the other day to upgrade a system to a fully activated win10 OS.

If everything else fails, let me know and I'll see if there's something we can do to help out.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms