Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stephen89
Paper Tape
Views: 241
Message 1 of 9

Trying to enable motherboard video on P300

I have a Lenovo P300/30AH/CTO1WN with three monitors based off two nVidia adapters.  One of these has recently become faulty and had to be removed.

I notice there is onboard video with VGA and HDMI outputs on the motherboard, and I want to try to use these together with the remaining nVidia adapter to drive the three monitors.

But the motherboard video output remains inactive, and there are no BIOS settings that seem to control this.

How can the motherboard video be activated, so that it can work together with a PCI adapter card?

Stephen89
Paper Tape
Views: 237
Message 2 of 9

Re: Trying to enable motherboard video on P300

Correction: I think the video outputs are DP not HDMI (plus VGA)
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 202
Message 3 of 9

Which CPU is installed in your system?  In order for the onboard ports to work, you'll need to make sure you have a CPU installed that supports onboard graphics.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Stephen89
Paper Tape
Views: 196
Message 4 of 9

Thanks psuturtle, I didn't realise that.

Lenovo Diagnostics tells me it is

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz

Am I in luck?

Highlighted
Stephen89
Paper Tape
Views: 175
Message 5 of 9

Some further research indicates not, that the Xeon is actually like an i7 but without the processor graphics.

Is that correct?

If so, I obviously need to get a new video card. 

Can Lenovo sell me one of these that will be compatible with my other existing card (NVIDIA NVS315) for shipment to Australia?

Could you post a link to a suitable product in the online store?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 161
Message 6 of 9

The E3-1241 v3 CPU doesn't support onboard graphics, so the only graphics outputs that will function in that scenario are the ones coming directly off the Nvidia GPU.  

You mentioned that your system originally came with two NVS315 adapters I believe?  And your new direction is now to simply replace the one "faulty" adapter with a like replacement?  I think we offer the NVS 310 as an official Option part, but I don't see the NVS 315 listed.  You can try to order the replacement FRU part (FRU 00FC853), which should give you the proper high profile card.  If you need it, the FRU for the DMS59 to dual DP dongle is 03T8403 and the FRU for the DMS59 to dual DVI dongle is 03T8402.

You can also buy another NVS315 on the open market.  The FRU part would have our Lenovo specific VBIOS on it, but it's probably pretty low risk of using an off-the-shelf NVS315 if you wanted to.  

Supply of those cards might be starting to dry up a bit now since I believe they might have gone end of life.  Hopefully there are still FRUs in stock though.

I can't help directly with finding where to purchase FRUs, but this link should be helpful:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht036683

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Stephen89
Paper Tape
Views: 140
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for another detailed reply.

The faulty card I removed because I started getting freezing and DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION errors, at least once a day, after three years of otherwise reliable service.  I suspected video issues early on, because of the hard freeze and some diagnostic messages I scraped up indicating a fault in the video driver module.  tried everything I could think of - updating drivers, switching slots, etc. 

So it's a circumstantial diagnosis of the card, but pretty strong.  For the last few weeks I've been limping along with an old AMD Radeon replacing the defective card, with no issues.  The other day I put the NVS315 card back in as a reality check and it froze again within hours.

I'm not interested in trying to diagnose the card any further, it's too disruptive and costly in time.  The AMD Radeon works fine, but it's old and the fan is noisy.

But I'm wondering if trying to match with the existing NVS315 is even a good idea.  I tried an ASUS GT710 I had available, and it worked, but seemed to disable the other NVS315. 

So apparently there can be incompatibilties between brands/models?

Perhaps the most sensible approach is to replace both cards with new identical models that are known to work well in pairs on this machine.

My requirements are straightforward, it's an office machine with no need for high performance gaming, for three monitors of two sizes - 1920x1080 and 1600x900.

In that case, which model would you recommend and can Lenovo supply? 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 127
Message 8 of 9

If you're considering replacing either of the GPUs, I'd probably recommend just going with a quad-head GPU from the start to make it easy.  Mixing GPUs can get complicated with you're dealing with parts from different vendors, and also with parts from different families of the same vendor (like Quadro and GeForce) since they require different driver packages to be running at the same time.  

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I think the P620 might be a solid choice if you can swing it.  It has 4 miniDP ports available, so you can drive 4 displays off the same GPU.  You should be able to purchase the P620 as an official option kit using Option PN 4X60R60468 (this is the full height card for the tower).  For whatever reason, I can't get that PN to come up on the Lenovo Smart Find site, but I was able to find it here.  

Since the card is not officially supported on P300, I'm not sure there's a ton of benefit in buying the actual Lenovo Option part.  So you might be able to find the same card cheaper on the open market if you wanted to go that route, and it would be fairly low risk.

That GPU is going to be significantly better than anything in the NVS lineup (which is dated and starting to go EOL).  

Stephen89
Paper Tape
Views: 125
Message 9 of 9

I didn't know you could get quads.  Will check it out.

Thanks for the great advice, much appreciated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors