Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

09-12-2018

United States of America

49 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 1 of 3

P510: Upgrade Suggestions M.2 SSD - Type 30B4

2021-07-18, 9:45 AM

Hi,

Im looking for some advice onthe best and safest path to upgrade the 256 NVMe SSD on my P510 Workstation (ThinkStation) - Type 30B4.

it currently has a Samsung SSD NVMe MZVPV256HDGL-00000 SM951 256GB M.2 PCI Express 3.0 OEM.

Questions:

1) whats a good upgrade? Largest size I can go with,  anything I should be aware of? Will the Gen 4 Samasung m.2 devices work?

2) can I simply use a Hard Drive Docking Station Clone/Duplicator to clone the drives and then just remove the old SSD and plug in the new one?  Does anything need to be reconfigured inthe bios?

Regards,

Patrick

Answer
Options

5195 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3671 Signins

51380 Page Views

• Views: 51380

Re:Upgrade Suggestions M.2 SSD on my P510 Workstation (ThinkStation) - Type 30B4

2021-07-19, 19:26 PM

I'll try to respond to each of your questions individually...

@ pbeauch wrote:

1) whats a good upgrade? Largest size I can go with,  anything I should be aware of? Will the Gen 4 Samasung m.2 devices work?

The answer here probably depends on whether you intend to try to stay with devices officially tested/supported/qualified by Lenovo, or if you decide to go the retail route.  If you go the retail route, I'd suggest sticking to tier 1 suppliers (Samsung, Toshiba, WD, etc.).  Most of what we qualified on P510 were Samsung drives at the time, but the overall market was a bit smaller back then.  P510 doesn't limit capacity for NVMe support, but I suspect 2TB is really the top capacity you'll be able to use successfully.  Keep in mind any NVMe chosen should ideally be single sided as P510 wasn't designed to necessarily support dual sided NVMe drives with regards to the thermal solution and socket height.  Gen4 drives should function, but they will train down to gen3 speeds as that is what the platform/controller supports.  Don't buy gen4 thinking you're going to see a performance bump over a comparable gen3 drive as that won't be the case in this platform.

@ pbeauch wrote:

2) can I simply use a Hard Drive Docking Station Clone/Duplicator to clone the drives and then just remove the old SSD and plug in the new one?  Does anything need to be reconfigured inthe bios?

There are a number of methods you can try to clone your existing image.  Others might have better advice here to help with that.  I'd warn that anything you try would need support for NVMe (not all physical cloning docks do).  You should not have to do anything unique in the BIOS to get the new drive to work, but it would need to be partitioned/formatted using a valid method.  I'd recommend making sure it's partitioned as GPT and not MBR.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

5195 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3671 Signins

51380 Page Views

• Views: 51380
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Upgrade Suggestions M.2 SSD on my P510 Workstation (ThinkStation) - Type 30B4

2021-07-19, 19:26 PM

I'll try to respond to each of your questions individually...

@ pbeauch wrote:

The answer here probably depends on whether you intend to try to stay with devices officially tested/supported/qualified by Lenovo, or if you decide to go the retail route.  If you go the retail route, I'd suggest sticking to tier 1 suppliers (Samsung, Toshiba, WD, etc.).  Most of what we qualified on P510 were Samsung drives at the time, but the overall market was a bit smaller back then.  P510 doesn't limit capacity for NVMe support, but I suspect 2TB is really the top capacity you'll be able to use successfully.  Keep in mind any NVMe chosen should ideally be single sided as P510 wasn't designed to necessarily support dual sided NVMe drives with regards to the thermal solution and socket height.  Gen4 drives should function, but they will train down to gen3 speeds as that is what the platform/controller supports.  Don't buy gen4 thinking you're going to see a performance bump over a comparable gen3 drive as that won't be the case in this platform.

@ pbeauch wrote:

There are a number of methods you can try to clone your existing image.  Others might have better advice here to help with that.  I'd warn that anything you try would need support for NVMe (not all physical cloning docks do).  You should not have to do anything unique in the BIOS to get the new drive to work, but it would need to be partitioned/formatted using a valid method.  I'd recommend making sure it's partitioned as GPT and not MBR.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

8 Posts

09-12-2018

United States of America

49 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Please Help: Upgrade Suggestions M.2 SSD on my P510 Workstation (ThinkStation) - Type 30B4

2021-07-19, 22:05 PM

okay - I was able to clone the current NVME to a new larger SAMSUNG (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology

used a ASUS ROG STRIX Arion Aluminum Alloy M.2 NVMe SSD External Portable Enclosure Case Adapter, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C (10 Gbps), USB-C to C and USB-C to A Cables, Fits PCIe 2280/2260/2242/2230 M Key/B+M Key to do the cloning with Acronis.

Shutdown PC, removed the old m.2 NVME from slot 1 of the flex card, installed the new one and rebooted with no issues so far.

Question - can slot 2 of the flex card be used for another m.2 or is that slot disabled for the p510?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms