06-23-2020

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 5

c30, no display code: long-long-short-short-short ... short-short

2020-06-23, 9:54 AM

I have used my c30 thinkstation with a GTX 1060 graphics card for several years now. 

I upgraded to my new pc recently ... I wanted to give the c30 to my nephew so I drove over to them to try to set it up.

when I plugged all cables and attached the monitor the starting beep/code was long-long-short-short-short ... short-short

I have found several other topics here which indicate an issue with uefi/graphic card combination, however the system was running fine 24 hours ago (with a different monitor). 

In order to get the system running and by setting up win10 i had to disable uefi in bios anyway and had legacy bios running. So this setup has proven to work.

Either something happened during transport or the display / cable is the culprit (but display and hmdi cable works fine with his console). 

Unfortunately my c30 does not have onboard graphics so i was not able to try this. 

monitor has vga / hdmi, graphics card has display port, hdmi, dvi. we tried DP and HDMI without luck.

what I am wondering now: does the beep code appear also when no display/cable is attached? have not tested this yet.

exact model number:

LENOVO ThinkStation C30 SY624GE Intel Xeon E5-2630 2,3GHz

Solved! See the solution
Options

699 Posts

01-14-2014

US

1919 Signins

13419 Page Views

• Views: 13419
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:c30, no display code: long-long-short-short-short ... short-short

2020-06-24, 17:23 PM

The first part of the beep code that you're experiencing (long-long-short-short-short) is a graphics issue. 

Possible causes for this could include:

• No display being recognized by the GPU.  If you do have a display connected, how is it connected to the GPU? Is connected via a DP, HDMI, or VGA port? Are you using any type of dongles to convert HDMI to DP or HDMI/DP to VGA or etc? 

• The system BIOS does not recognize the GPU. For instance, the video oprom is failing to load. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

06-23-2020

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-06-25, 8:28 AM

Hi

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

The problem is indeed the graphics card. 

The issue was now resolved when the cover/lid was removed, there seems to be a short circuit or "fault current" of some kind... I'll have to figure out how to isolate the faulty part.

Really love the c30 but the space is sometimes too limited. :)

thanks!

Options

4513 Posts

02-22-2010

NC

3416 Signins

47665 Page Views

• Views: 47665
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-06-25, 17:51 PM

I'm actually curious how you were able to make the PCIe power connections on a GeForce card in the C30 chassis.  C30 was designed mainly to support Quadro, which typically has the aux PCIe connections on the tail/right end of the GPU, whereas GeForce GPUs typically have their PCIe power connectors on the north/top side of the GPU.  That would usually cause interference with the cover.

I know some users have gotten creative in figuring out ways to get around that problem, but curious to see how you managed to solve it.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

2 Posts

06-23-2020

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-06-26, 8:42 AM

glad you asked :D because this was a little bit adventurous.

As said, space is limited in the c30, I had to spend some time to make it work. 

I found this specific card: "Palit GeForce GTX 1060 Dual (6GB, Midrange) (5850244)" which would fit (almost perfectly) into the case, however every graphics card has the power connector on the opposite side of the pci-e connector. So the Card would fit but if you connect the power, the lid and the blade of the c30 would never close. 

So I had to rearrange the power connector on the graphics card, which really is not such a big deal if you have an okay soldering iron with a fine tip.

in order to do that i had to remove the plastic socket on the GC, had to cut the thick aluminum connectors a bit down and then i soldered these thick pins together with a pci-e power connector cable. 

It really was not a big deal, but it is a bit stressful to sold on a $300 piece of equipment. :)

With the problem I have now, I might have to put some isolation tape on the inside of the c30 blade, maybe some piece of the blade is actually touching the graphics card which would explain the faulty current. I am probably lucky that nothing more is happening than the GC not getting power.

Maybe during transport the case was a bit stretched or deformed since i have had this setup for quite some time before.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete