Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

38 Posts

10-10-2012

United States of America

28 Signins

195 Page Views

• Views: 195
  • Message 1 of 7

p920 Bluetooth hardware suddenly missing

2021-08-30, 18:35 PM

Hi,

The Intel Bluetooth hardware installed/configured by Lenovo on my p920 disappeared this morning.  It has been working for about 20 months.  If I run the Windows 10 Bluetooth troubleshooter, I see the first attached screenshot.

Please see the second attached screenshot from Device Manager (Windows 10 Pro for Workstations - 20H2).  Is there a BIOS/UEFI setting that needs to be enabled for Windows to "see" the Bluetooth radio?  Is there a way to force Windows to perform a low-level hardware scan (such as when one installs Windows) to find the Bluetooth radio?  The Wi-fi radio hardware is working fine, although I rarely use it since I use an Ethernet cable connection.  Is there something in the Windows Registry that needs attention?

I downloaded the latest Bluetooth driver from the Lenovo support site, but since my machine is acting like the hardware is not installed, updating the driver is not possible.

What am I missing?  Any advice is appreciated.  -Ja

Answer
Options

38 Posts

10-10-2012

United States of America

28 Signins

195 Page Views

Re:p920 Bluetooth hardware suddenly missing

2021-09-04, 17:08 PM

Thanks again to mebsterbball and psuturtle.  Bluetooth hardware is "visible" again to the OS.

Now that I know that the Bluetooth hardware is a USB device, before shutting down, I ran Windows Device Manager and noted that I had an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".  So, the p920 could detect the USB hardware, but it was not receiving a good descriptor during initial negotiation.  I uninstalled the errant device within Device Manager and scanned for hardware changes with the same result.  Shutdown, opened the cabinet, and noticed that the USB cable plug is not a snug fit in the planar board socket -- very easy to wiggle and/or remove/insert from/into the planar board socket.  Wi-Fi card was tight in its slot and the USB connecting cable plug on the PCIe end of the cable was snug.  I pressed the plug into the socket as best I could, powered up, the Bluetooth hardware was recognized, and driver(s) were installed.

Thank you again for your advice,  -Ja

Replies(6)
Options

38 Posts

10-10-2012

United States of America

28 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

2021-08-30, 18:37 PM

Here is the second screenshot referenced in the previous post.  -Ja

Options

1310 Posts

01-14-2014

United States of America

2175 Signins

17514 Page Views

• Views: 17514
  • Message 3 of 7

2021-09-01, 20:24 PM

One thing to check here is to make sure the Wifi adapter is fully installed into a PCIe slot and that the cable coming off the wifi card cabled directly to the motherboard is fully seated/connected.  

Options

38 Posts

10-10-2012

United States of America

28 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-09-01, 20:54 PM
Thank you for the advice. I will check those. Please be aware that I purchased this p920 with the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth option installed at the Lenovo factory in Mexico -- I did not add a Bluetooth adapter. I assume that the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios are on the same PCIe adapter. To repeat, Wi-Fi is working fine. Thank you again, -Ja
Options

5224 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3684 Signins

51530 Page Views

• Views: 51530
  • Message 5 of 7

2021-09-02, 4:41 AM

Yes if using the card officially supported on P920, then it's a combo wifi/BT adapter that sits in a PCIe carrier card installed to a PCIe slot.  The wifi portion of that controller routes through PCIe, but the bluetooth portion is handled through a USB connection.

Since it sounds like wifi is still working, I'd focus on that USB connection.

• Make sure the cable running between the card and motherboard are properly connected.  The connection at the board side should be via the blue 19 pin header.
  • Check BIOS setup to ensure the USB port for that cable has not been inadvertently disabled for some reason.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

38 Posts

10-10-2012

United States of America

28 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-09-02, 7:51 AM
Thank you for the advice. I will check it all out on Saturday when the machine is less busy. Thank you very much for your help, -Ja
Answer
Options

38 Posts

10-10-2012

United States of America

28 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-09-04, 17:08 PM

Thanks again to mebsterbball and psuturtle.  Bluetooth hardware is "visible" again to the OS.

Now that I know that the Bluetooth hardware is a USB device, before shutting down, I ran Windows Device Manager and noted that I had an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".  So, the p920 could detect the USB hardware, but it was not receiving a good descriptor during initial negotiation.  I uninstalled the errant device within Device Manager and scanned for hardware changes with the same result.  Shutdown, opened the cabinet, and noticed that the USB cable plug is not a snug fit in the planar board socket -- very easy to wiggle and/or remove/insert from/into the planar board socket.  Wi-Fi card was tight in its slot and the USB connecting cable plug on the PCIe end of the cable was snug.  I pressed the plug into the socket as best I could, powered up, the Bluetooth hardware was recognized, and driver(s) were installed.

Thank you again for your advice,  -Ja

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms