Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-23-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 5

unexpected shutdowns

2021-07-23, 18:20 PM

My relatively new (5 months old) P340 workstation has gotten into the habit the past month of powering down on its own.

It gets into a weird state where it's not pingable, doesn't respond to keyboard input, plugging/unplugging the HDMI cable makes no difference (screen stays blank).  The only ways I've found out of this state is to press and hold the power button, which turns the machine off, or unplug the power cable and plug it back in.

It's happened about 6 times over the last few weeks, after being stable for months.  

I can't find anything of interest in any of the system logs around the time of the shutdown (just the error from Windows, when it starts up, saying it was not properly shutdown.

Any thoughts or troubleshooting steps would be awesome, thanks!

Options

5198 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3674 Signins

51400 Page Views

• Views: 51400
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:unexpected shutdowns

2021-07-24, 3:34 AM

Do you have any idea of what the system was doing prior to the hang condition?  Is Windows possibly hitting a blue screen and crashing?  Was the system under heavy CPU or GPU load?

What is your full system configuration?

The first step would likely be to try to figure out if it's a SW issue causing the problem, or possibly something on the HW side.  I'd suggest making sure your system BIOS and all core drivers are up to date if possible, but obviously the system needs to be up and running to be able to accomplish this

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

3 Posts

07-23-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-07-24, 17:33 PM

The system wasn't doing anything remarkable.  I don't do anything that really pushes the envelope.  A few times I was actively using the machine, but other times it was just sitting idle.  

It doesn't hang and doesn't go to a blue screen.  It just goes...I'm not sure what the correct word is...dormant.  The red power light is still on, one the front panel, but it otherwise appears to be powered off and totally unresponsive.  I haven't run into this with any machine before.

The BIOS and drivers are up to date and I ran the HW scan that comes with the Lenovo Vantage and that come up green.  I looked at things using CPUID HW Monitor just to see if things were running unusually hot, but they weren't (30 C across the board).  Not sure what else to do.

My configuration is below.

[System Summary]

Item    Value    
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise    
Version    10.0.19043 Build 19043    
Other OS Description     Not Available    
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation    
System Name    <redacted>
System Manufacturer    LENOVO    
System Model    30DJS3PP00    
System Type    x64-based PC    
System SKU    LENOVO_MT_30DJ_BU_Think_FM_ThinkStation P340    
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10GHz, 4104 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)    
BIOS Version/Date    LENOVO S08KT3AA, 5/20/2021    
SMBIOS Version    3.2    
Embedded Controller Version    1.12    
BIOS Mode    UEFI    
BaseBoard Manufacturer    LENOVO    
BaseBoard Product    1048    
BaseBoard Version    SDK0J40697 WIN 3305339365282    
Platform Role    Workstation    
Secure Boot State    On    
PCR7 Configuration    Elevation Required to View    
Windows Directory    C:\Windows    
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32    
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1    
Locale    United States    
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.19041.1110"    
User Name    Not Available    
Time Zone    Pacific Daylight Time    
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    32.0 GB    
Total Physical Memory    31.7 GB    
Available Physical Memory    15.5 GB    
Total Virtual Memory    49.7 GB    
Available Virtual Memory    30.0 GB    
Page File Space    18.0 GB    
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys    
Kernel DMA Protection    On    
Virtualization-based security    Running    
Virtualization-based security Required Security Properties    Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection    
Virtualization-based security Available Security Properties    Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection, UEFI Code Readonly, SMM Security Mitigations 1.0, Mode Based Execution Control, APIC Virtualization    
Virtualization-based security Services Configured    Credential Guard    
Virtualization-based security Services Running    Credential Guard    
Windows Defender Application Control policy    Enforced    
Windows Defender Application Control user mode policy    Enforced    
Device Encryption Support    Elevation Required to View    
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.        

Options

5198 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3674 Signins

51400 Page Views

• Views: 51400
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-07-28, 2:26 AM

The BIOS isn't quite up to date, but it's only one level back (the latest posted version is S08KT3FA from July 22nd).  If the system is typically in the OS when this condition shows up, I'm really tempted to think it's something SW related as opposed to a HW issue.  But that's mostly a hunch based on previous experiences.  

Have you seen anything interesting in the Windows Update logs?

The system summary doesn't provide complete info on the system config:

- Is there a discrete GPU installed in the system?  Or is it using onboard graphics?

- What is your storage configuration?

You could start attempting to work through a standard debug process by removing various pieces of hardware one at a time to try to get that to trigger something, but that can be difficult to do with a problem where the system is intermittently crashing from within the OS and honestly might not get you anywhere if it is a SW problem.  So I'd probably recommend focusing on BIOS, drivers, and the OS.  Not ideal, but a clean reinstall of the OS might tell you a lot, especially if you have another spare drive you can use for the clean OS install.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

3 Posts

07-23-2021

United States of America

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-07-28, 3:32 AM

Thanks mate.

Since it's still under warranty, I contacted Lenovo and within a day they ordered a new motherboard.  I wonder if it's a known issue with this model?

I'll reimage and refresh the BIOS and hopefully be in calmer waters.

Thanks again for taking the time.  I'll post back here if the new motherboard does the trick.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms