Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reteinformatica
Blue Screen Again
Views: 501
Message 1 of 10

All disks in UBAD status

Goodmorning everyone.
I purchased a server ST550, I updated all part of firmware, I have included four 2.5 "drives and I was a RAID 0. So far so good. Successevimente I installed VMWare ESXi and even up to far so good. Then I turned off the server. the next time I do not party, I went to check the array status, and I saw that one of the four was in a state of UBAD. Then I tried to remove and reinsert the disc in UBAD and from this moment all four discs are in a state of UBAD. I deleted the array but the four discs are all in a state of UBAD, without the possibility of choosing anything, so now I can't create any array. Raid controller is Lenovo 930-8i.

You give me a hand please? Thanks!

reteinformatica
Blue Screen Again
Views: 480
Message 2 of 10

Re: All disks in UBAD status

In this unresolved post the guy has the same problem and he describe it better: https://serverfault.com/questions/982734/all-disks-show-as-unconfigured-bad-ubad-on-raid-controller

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 471
Message 3 of 10

Hello could you  please tell us the LED state of the drives now? 

I would advise that you complete the following steps until the problem is solved:
Turn off the server.

Reseat the SAS/SATA adapter.

Reseat the backplane signal cable and backplane power cable.

Reseat the hard disk drive.

Power on the server and observe the activity of the hard disk drive LEDs.

Please let us know if that helps your situation. 

reteinformatica
Blue Screen Again
Views: 465
Message 4 of 10

Hello, thanks to answer.

Led state of drives is off, ID is blinking and "!" is orange.

I attached an old 500 sata hard disk and installed Windows Server 2019. Windows doesn't see the four disks but with StorCli I can see drives but marked as UBAD like in bios. I tried with StoreCli command 'storcli /c0 /e134 /s0 set good' but it tells me "not allwed".

What I have to do to:

1. Reseat the SAS/SATA adapter.
  2. Reseat the backplane signal cable and backplane power cable.
  3. Reseat the hard disk drive.

Thank you.

Lenovo Employee jeromez
Lenovo Employee
Views: 442
Message 5 of 10

pls manually try to change the drive status to ugood from xcc / LXPM- storage /UEFI -Storage, once it change successfully, it will become ugood(foreign), pls clean the foreign config (LXPM- storage /uefi -storage /xcc), then recreate the array.

or you can try to import the raid 0 config, if all those raid 0 member become ugood (foreign)

reteinformatica
Blue Screen Again
Views: 390
Message 6 of 10

Good morning,
I apologize for the delay but I spent all yesterday to do many tests. I followed your directions, the steps that I made are these:

UEFI setup

System Settings

Storage

Avago Megaraid <<Raid 930-8i>> etc.

Main Manù

Drive Management --> Make UGOOD

This is worked.
The problem now  is that every time I turn off or reboot the server, not all but one or more discs in the back was UBAD, every reboot something different, once a disc went UGOODF been and could not be used.
I came to the conclusion that the problem is that they have put disks without caddies do not know if during rotation maybe moving or anything. Then, as I hurry to deliver this server I built temporary caddies waiting to buy real ones.
In doing so the situation is more stable, 3 of 4 remain in UGOOD and I created the array, there are no more disk problems that change was. The fourth disk that keeps on giving problems I will add it when I have caddies. Now I have two questions:

1) The first is where can I find these caddies, I have done much research but did not find anything, there is a code?

2) the second is if I add the last disc later (when I have caddies) and make it a member of the existing RAID0 array to expand the space, without having to reinstall the whole system.

Thanks!

reteinformatica
Blue Screen Again
Views: 373
Message 7 of 10

I spoke too soon: after several restarts where it seemed that everything was fine, I had the bad idea of ​​giving the "Clear" command (UEFI setup ----> System Settings ---> Storage ---> Avago Megaraid << Raid 930-8i >> etc. ---> --- ACTION Configure> Clear Configuration). Now another disc went UBAD and you can not bring him UGOOD. I redid the procedure described in the previous post many times. Sometimes in "Action" I find only two items from the menu: "Start locate" and "Stop locate" at times besides these two you add "Make UGOOD" but then selecting the disc remains in UBAD.

Lenovo Employee jeromez
Lenovo Employee
Views: 339
Message 8 of 10

if can't see the drive detail info from uefi -storage, or drive can't change to ugood ,that indicate drive was bad totally (if you confirmed the connnection was good).

yes you can online to expand the array capacity from uefi -storage or from storcli command or LSA GUI from OS

LSA was the replacement of MSM

reteinformatica
Blue Screen Again
Views: 324
Message 9 of 10

I can see everything of the disks in Storage Manager, they are always well connected and I can see all the information, the problem is just that I can not bring two of four in UGOOD state, although, rarely, I can take them to UGOOD, then immediately return to UBAD . I tested the disc, but they are good.

Lenovo Employee jeromez
Lenovo Employee
Views: 258
Message 10 of 10

pls manually clear the raid log , and if the drive become failed /ubad frequently after normal business runing /io stress tool, pls collect the raid log , i can keep an eye on the raid logs

manually to clear the raid log

./storcli64 /c0 delete events

./storcli64 /c0 delete termlog

collect new log after failure

./storcli64 /c0 show events > events.log

./storcli64 /c0 show all >showall.log

./storcli64 /c0 show termlog > termlog.log

./storcli64 /c0/eall/sall show all >sall.log

./storcli64/c0/vall show all >vall.log

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors