Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulVM
Paper Tape
Views: 612
Message 1 of 7

Error 0064: Unqualified DIMM 3 has been detected

I bought a ST50 to replace the old TS140 as a test/backup internal server.

I had some spare DDR4 from other servers than thought can be used to increase the 8 GB base memory.

They works without problems, but at every boot the system stops with the message in the subject:

Error 0064: Unqualified DIMM 3 has been detected

And require to press the F2 key to continue.

Really annoying if you need to reboot the box from remote ...

I understand the correct solutions/answer is to buy original Lenovo TruDDR4 DIMMs, but in my opinion and for my needs it isn't the pratical solution: no sense to spend some hundreds E for a box that costs 500 E (not used for "critical mission"),  when the available DIMMs have the only problem that because they aren't "certified" the system stops at the boot.

I explored the BIOS, but can't find an option to say the system to ignore the warning and continue the boot.

Any hints?

Thanks, P.

Lenovo Employee RyanTsai
Lenovo Employee
Views: 561
Message 2 of 7

Re: Error 0064: Unqualified DIMM 3 has been detected

Hi PaulVM

Considering the hardware specifications of the TS140 and ST50, the situation you are experiencing is completely normal.
The TS140's memory uses DDR3, and the ST50 requires DDR4.

During the POST procedure, the system will detect that the memory specifications do not meet the requirements.

Unknown problems can also be expected. Such messages must be displayed and cannot be ignored.

It is still recommended that you use a memory that meets the specifications.

https://lenovopress.com/lp0034-lenovo-thinkserver-ts140#memory 

https://lenovopress.com/lp0960-thinksystem-st50-server#memory-options 

ST50.png

ts140.png

Please feel free to leave your comment, thank you for support Lenovo
Lenovo Employee DennisC
Lenovo Employee
Views: 535
Message 3 of 7

Hi PaulVM

This is a mechanism to check if user is using Lenovo's DIMM or not. This mechanism related to Lenovo warrenty service and product support. You still need to press F2 key on every boot on if you are using your spare DDR4 DIMM.

Please feel free to leave your comment, thank you for support Lenovo.

Highlighted
PaulVM
Paper Tape
Views: 526
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for both answers.

I thougth I had already specified that I understand the technical/commercial sense of the warning.

I am a system administrator since near 30 years, so, like (I think), almost all the other people that are in this forums for work and not for curiosity, I understand the importance of good ram (like good other components).

If I need a server that requires business continuity I usually buy something "better" than a ST50 and can accept to buy the original parts from Lenovo (that aren't cheap), but for an entry level box that is used for non "mission critical" environment I'll expect a greather flexibility.

If the intention of Lenovo is to warn the user, they can act giving an option to still use the system normally: a flag in the BIOS like many BIOS have, or a timeout that when expired the server continue the boot.

Just for curiosity I bought a DIMM from crucial declared compatible with the ST50 (and many other servers).

36 hours of memtest without any problem, but it gives the "press F2 key" warning at boot because it isn't a TruDDR4 from Lenovo.

Lenovo is trying to force people to buy its parts that costs many times the equivalent spare part?

Ok It is a commercial choice that Lenovo (and other brands), can try.

I can return the server and buy something that don't have this "feature".

And the next time I need a serious system (not a 500 E base system), probably I consider a different brand before Lenovo.

Or Lenovo can simply give the warning AND the option to disactivate/bypass it without require a person that "press the F2 key".

Is there this options available?

Thanks, P

CanTech
What's DOS?
Views: 484
Message 5 of 7

There must be a BIOS option to circumvent the F2 error or possibly a BIOS update coming out?  (I couldn't find it either) Since I'm assuming it's not availabe, that's pretty **** of Lenovo and other Tier 1 hardware providers to force people to purchase over priced hardware!

The hardware in there is 100% compatible. It works just fine if you get around the F2 error. However, this certainly does not allow for techs to be able to service from remote!!! Bad feature in my opinion.

Following.... 

Chris

Domanes
Fanfold Paper
Views: 464
Message 6 of 7

Hello Paul,

there is a KB available..

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht115052

Though I would open a support ticket to clarify if this POST hang is expected. I won't think so.

The tip itselfs tells only to record an informal messages to the XCC log.

PaulVM
Paper Tape
Views: 386
Message 7 of 7

Did you open the ticket?

Any answer?

I expected an answer from some Lenovo technician that follows this forum ... (obviously not the "buy original Lenovo parts" answer ...)

Regards, P.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors