06-24-2020

United States of America

18 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 1 of 3

SE350 - Need UCI recipe for making all the ports uplink ports

2020-07-26, 22:00 PM

The SE350 with the LOM wireless package sounds like a great idea.  Along with it comes 2ea 1GbE SFP, 2ea 10GbE SFP+, 2ea 1GbE RJ45, 1ea Wireless Lan that can be configured as an AP or Client, and 1ea LTE port. A server like this should be able to suite a variety of networking needs. It even comes with some preset topology configurations that can be changed in the XCC utility. If you need to do anything outside of the preset configs, you can create your own if you know how to modify such things using the Linux command line to edit the proper files, or you can use the UIC interface to do the same. UCI is just a little easier to use.

Enough of me saying nice things about the system. The fact that there is a limited pallet of preset topologies and no GUI to modify them further is a huge problem that makes the system not enterprise worthy. In my case, I just need 2ea RJ45 uplink ports from the server to a switch. I can't believe there isn't a preset for that. I don't know about you, but where I come from a server that doesn't have two working RJ45 ports is not a server at all. The setup guide tells me I just simply use the UCI to fix that, but fails to explain how it’s done. Believe me I have tried for many hours to come up with the right UCI recipe that gives me this. Above all else, all I want is for Lenovo to give me a UCI config that turns all the ports into uplink ports; maybe keep one of the ports as a downlink port just in case I need one. If they can't do this, then I just have to return the system.

Some observations – The XCC utility reports 3 internal NICs, These are an Internal 10G port called the LOM-switchboard which deals with most of the physical ports; and 2ea  Onboard Lan ports that are tied to the 2ea physical SFP+ ports that are disabled.

The only scenario that is working for me right now is topology preset #5.  This makes use of the wireless as a client to connect the server to my network.  All the other ports are in Plate mode. (There is no explanation as to what Plate mode means, other than these ports are useless). I have installed ESXi 6.7 but the only NIC it sees is the internal LOM-switchboard.  I wish the other two NICs worked so I could use them.  

Options

20 Posts

06-24-2020

United States of America

18 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re:SE350 - Need UCI recipe for making all the ports uplink ports

2020-07-26, 23:11 PM

I have submitted a ticket with this request.  See IBM problem number BN8VM8W

Options

20 Posts

06-24-2020

United States of America

18 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re:SE350 - Need UCI recipe for making all the ports uplink ports

2020-07-27, 1:37 AM

I want to add here that the 2ea Onboard Lan ports that are tied to the 2ea physical SFP+ ports that are disabled, can be easily enabled by plugging in a couple of inexpensive copper RJ45 transceivers that will allow you to easily plug into the network without the need for fiber.  Most of you probably already know this.

My biggest point here is that these two interfaces now show up as active vmnics in ESXi.  Before these became active my only choice was to connect to the server with the LOM1-switchboard interface that presented itself to ESXi as vmnic2.  This was annoying in one respect in that the two new vmnics are presented as vmnic0 and vmnic1.

It looks like this:

vmnic2 - LOM1-switchboard

vmnic0 - LOM1 Port1

vmnic1 - LOM1 Port2

I was able to change it to look like this:

vmnic0 - LOM1-switchboard

vmnic1 - LOM1 Port1

vmnic2 - LOM1 Port2

This is just a matter of using the esxcli to change the alias names for the interfaces.  https://www.vmbaggum.nl/2017/04/change-vmnic-order-vsphere-6-x/

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms