Did you mean: 
Highlighted
matty_mbtxAU
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 133
Message 1 of 6

SR630 7X02 - Seagate FireCuda SSHDs + 530i RAID card

Hey everybody,

I've been near pulling my hair out with issues around my SR630 and filling it with some drives. I did some quick searching on the forums, but all I could come up with is more consumer related boards and forum posts.

We have the 7X02, and it's the only rack server in our testing lab, the rest are high-end workstations or tower servers.

• SR630 supports 8x 2.5-inch drives (in this config) connected by either SAS or SATA III
  • 4 Samsung 860EVOs that work flawlessly.
  • 4 Seagate FireCuda SSHDs that cause us nothing but grief.
  • The FireCudas are recognised as "Unconfigured Bad"
  • We can recognfigure them as Unconfigured Good. Can even set them as JBOD if we're lucky.
  • This lasts about 30 minutes after reboot. The RAID card sends a system interrupt, and reboots reporting a storage failure. Then they go back to unconfigured bad.
  • We discover when using LXPM that the drives aren't actually failed, but the firmware responded in such a way that the RAID card disabled the drives "due to an error."
  • We've tested the drives in all of our other servers and workstations, run full disk scans and erases, even basically set them back to factory defaults and still the RAID card keeps fighting with the drive firmware.
  • Entirely SATA III setup, no SAS drives attached.
  • We were intending on using the 530i only in JBOD mode, and use Windows Server 2019's latest iteration of Storage Spaces Direct.
  • Picked the FireCuda SSHDs mostly for it's built-in flash-based cache, which we were going to use joined with the 4x Samsung SSDs.

Using our other machines I've run every disk scan / utility on each of the 4 drives that I can think of, and there's nothing physically wrong with them. The drives are physically functional.

Before anyone jumps to it, please, I know Lenovo can only guarantee interoperability with drives that they make available for sale/are Lenovo branded. If we had the extra cash lying around, we'd only buy Lenovo branded parts - but unfortunately we're not all rich!

I get that the 530-8i really is capable and can be used for a whole lot more than just JBOD, but the maintenance manual and users guide all pretty much explain that drives that use either SATA III or SAS should work, Lenovo branded or not.

So was hoping that before I contact Lenovo support directly, I thought I'd pop my head in here and ask for you wonderful and super smart and far more experienced people if you had any idea as to why the 530i RAID card seems to hate these SSHDs so much?

Please! Any help or insights would be amazing...

--------------
Matty from Australia
Powered by a ThinkSystem SR630, 7X02
matty_mbtxAU
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 130
Message 2 of 6

Re: SR630 7X02 - Seagate FireCuda SSHDs + 530i RAID card

A quick short second note, I've even been running Seagate's own disk diagnostic software. They've also confirmed the functionality of all four of the SSHDs.

Just wanted to add that in! <3
--------------
Matty from Australia
Powered by a ThinkSystem SR630, 7X02
Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 101
Message 3 of 6

Hi matty_mbtxAU,

Please refer to the link.

530-8i is supported to attach SATA HDD and SSDs at the same time.
However, it is NOT supported to mix SATA HDD and SSDs in same RAID array.
If you intend to keep your original 4 SSDs as Array1, and create a separate new 4 HDD as Array2, then it is okay.

Please be noted, we do not guarantee compatibility with drives which are not in Lenovo support list.

matty_mbtxAU
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 96
Message 4 of 6

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I've enabled JBOD in the XCPM, and I've deliberately NOT created RAID arrays...

I'm not actually trying to use the RAID card for it's various RAID functions. I literally just want it to be a JBOD.

Can you provide further advice in this situation? Of course I understand that Lenovo can't guarantee compatibility with drives not in the hardware list, but these are "regular" 2.5inch SATA HDDs really. So why does the RAID adapter hate these drives...?

Is there any way to bypass the RAID card and connect the SATA drives directly to the server motherboard or any similar bypass?
--------------
Matty from Australia