Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schwooba
Blue Screen Again
Views: 933
Message 1 of 10

ST50 hard drive install

I have a ST50(7549) that did NOT come with hard drives because I have my own. Do I need a special hard drive retainers/bracket cadeys to install a standard (WD Red) 3.5 hard drive because it doesn't look like I can install it otherwise or do I have to install Lenovo specific drives? There are special lips and slots that prevent it from installing flush. Anyone have any insight? The documentation references retainers be it doesn't say you NEED it. Thanks everyone. -Thomas

schwooba
Blue Screen Again
Views: 925
Message 2 of 10
Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 879
Message 3 of 10

Re: ST50 hard drive install

Hi schwooba,

You need the retainer to install a hard drive on bay 1-3. Please refer to the video for the instruction.

If you want to order the parts, please refer to the link to order parts. 

mcbsys
SCSI Port
Views: 668
Message 4 of 10

Same question, except I havent' bought the ST50 yet.

What is the part number for the retainer? Is it the same HDD bracket that is used for ThinkCentre (4XF0K93941)?

Also, does the server include extra SATA and power cables, or do I need to supply those as well when I add my own drive?

Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 620
Message 5 of 10

Hi mcbsys,

The HDD retainer, PWR cable, and the signal cable are included in the drive option part number.

Due to the service policy consideration, there is no FRU part number for the HDD retainer and not recommended to add the non-certified drive in an ST50. I would recommend selecting the certified and support drives from the ST50 supported list. 

Capture.JPG

mcbsys
SCSI Port
Views: 599
Message 6 of 10

ccchen,

Thank you for your reply. Let's examine some details:

• I need a 240/250GB SSD. 4XB7A14914 is $285 wholesale, $399 MSRP. I would be fine with a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB for $55, but if I want an Intel S4510, I can buy that for $75. That means the retainer bracket and cables cost $205.
  • I need a 4TB HDD. 4XB7A13556 is $166 wholesale, $649 (!) MSRP. Street price for a 4TB Western Digital Red drive is $100. That means the retainer is valued at $66.
  • I need a 2TB SSD. Apparently not available for this server.

The whole point of PC architecture (unlike Macintosh) is that parts from multiple vendors can be combined. I need to find a source for the hard drive brackets or switch to Dell (who either provides the brackets or lets you buy them separately).

Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 576
Message 7 of 10

Hi mcbsys,

I understood the cost consideration but sorry that the HDD bracket cannot purchase separately. The system stability of a server is the most important thing, and we always recommend client use the certified & tested devices in our data center solution since the devices are compatibility-tested and tuned to maximize performance and reliability. 

earlwer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 291
Message 8 of 10

You can buy the plastic drive trays on eBay. They look like the same as the TS150 (according to the video, above).

Note: You may also need SATA power cables. If you look carefully at the video, you will not see any SATA power cables from the PSU. They are on the mobo!!

The TS150 had a 4-pin power connector on the mobo, that was available in 3 different sizes, depending on model.

The Drive privces from Lenovo are ridiculous. You can get WD Gold server drives for half the price and a longer warranty...

Jack of All Trades... Master of Some.
Highlighted
mcbsys
SCSI Port
Views: 286
Message 9 of 10

@earlwer, thanks for the reply. Because of the Lenovo policy on drive trays (only officially available with Lenovo hard drives), I opted to buy a Dell PowerEdge T30 instead. The one I received came with four drive trays and plus SATA and power cables (four on-board SATA connectors, one for the DVD, three available for drives). I like Lenovo but I can't justify their server and drive pricing for a small business.

Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 258
Message 10 of 10

Hi schwooba,

If there are no further questions would it be safe to say this post can be resolved? If so, please mark this thread with a solution so others can utilize if needed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors