Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DRK_PEPPER
What's DOS?
Views: 157
Message 1 of 5

ST550 Fans too loud! BMC reset to quiet fans

For some reason, after installing a graphics card, my server after "recalibrating system power" now amps up the fans during startup. They stay too loud for the duration the server is powered on. I know that the fans are abnormally louder than ever before and no it isn't because of the graphics card... 

The only workaround I could find is resetting the BMC while it is running through the web interface they provide. But when you reset the BMC, the IP will be changed. So this is a one time fix and each time at startup you have to reconfigure the BMC to another IP.

Lenovo, when are you going to release software to fix this problem?

Lenovo Employee ccchen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 116
Message 2 of 5

Re: ST550 Fans too loud! BMC reset to quiet fans

Hi DRK_PEPPER,

The latest UEFI release verision is  lnvgy_fw_uefi_o0e136x-2.13_anyos_32-64.uxz, May 30, 2019.

The latest XCC release version is   lnvgy_fw_xcc_cdi334y-2.60_anyos_noarch.uxzJun 05, 2019. 

If the firmwares installed on your server are older than the release version, I recommend updating to the latest version to see if it's helpful to resolve it.

Lenovo Employee Dannyhsueh
Lenovo Employee
Views: 114
Message 3 of 5

Hi Sir,

May I ask if fans were abnormally louder before install the graphics card? 

Which graphic card did you install? Did you refer the Lenovopress to install fan and operate in environments?

If a GPU is installed, Fan 4 is required and is non-redundant in most configurations. The following table indicates the cooling restrictions that apply when supported GPUs are installed:

• Whether or not Fan 4 is redundant
  • Limits to ambient temperatures

DRK_PEPPER
What's DOS?
Views: 93
Message 4 of 5

They were not loud before the graphics card. I installed a p2000 nvidia quaduro card.
So in this case it is redundant as it is one gpu. If I get fan 4 will that calm noise?
Highlighted
Lenovo Employee Dannyhsueh
Lenovo Employee
Views: 75
Message 5 of 5

According to the description in LenovoPress, if you installed one NVIDIA P2000 GPU, fan 4 is redundan.

How about your server enviorment? The system must limited to ASHRAE A2 (35°C). Could you please check the environmental conditions are as follows:

ASHRAE defines four classes of data center equipment, A2 equipment operates from 10 to 35 degrees Celsius at 20% to 80% relative humidity.

By the way, did you check firmare version on the system? If the firmwares installed on your server are older than the release version, I recommend updating to the latest version to see if it's helpful to resolve it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors