Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Datacenter SystemsThinkSystem
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

05-05-2016

United States of America

5 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 2

Whats wrong with the ST50? Just about everything

2020-03-23, 21:37 PM

Just a rant about what we find wrong with ST50  poor design flaws.  Feel free to add what you think is wrong too!

• It is a desktop class motherboard.  Look inside and you will see the external front side USB ports, sound and mic connectors.

• It has on-board video, but only provided with display port adaptors.  Huh?  All servers use standard VGA, not this one.  You need a $40 displayport to vga adaptor.  Might as well just install server class video card.  Useless unless you want to hang a gender-bender adapter on your production server.   Not me.

• No XClairty.  (Not that the ST-250 XClairty onboad bios is worth a dang.  We had to get Xclairty lite on a thumb drive.  Even then, Windows would not not install under Xclairty lite.

• Something is major wrong with the Cmos.  We still want legacy BIOS for our servers because of Hyper-V issues on 2016 and 2019, and it is next to impossible to configure it on this system.
    Turn off CSM, Turn on CSM Try and try, then revert to using UEFI mode because you have to jump through flaming hoops to configure this beast with Legacy Bios.  I think they skimped on the bios code, and just want UEFI operating system to configure everything.

• Related to the half/baked CMOS, good luck trying to install a 580-8i raid controller.  Same thing.  Fiddle with CSM settings to get it to work, search forums for answers when it should be next, "load driver, next, finish.

• Want to install your own hard drive or SSD.  Unless you are willing to pay 3x the going rate for a hard drive, you are going to need a proprietary cable and Caddy that Lenovo does not sell separate.  You'll have to ferret out parts from Ebay and Amazon.   Caddy:  https://www.ebay.com/p/1652804602?iid=173902079624&rt=nc    Cables:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-45CM-mini-4-Pin-to-2-Sata-SSD-power-supply-cable-for-lenovo-M410-M610-M4JBxi  Yup, that's right  DESKTOP proprietary hard drive power cables.

After wasting an entire day and a half getting this box up and running with Win2019, I'll never purchase another Lenovo server again.  This was the pits for us, and going back to our previous manufacturer that starts with a D, and never looking back.  BTW, we had similar experiences with HP lower end servers.  D has the best servers for CHEAP ADMINS like me.

Options

92 Posts

09-18-2015

China

108 Signins

1602 Page Views

• Views: 1602
  • Message 2 of 2

Whats wrong with the ST50? Just about everything

2020-04-16, 3:23 AM
RickkeeC, I'm sorry to hear that you have a not good experience with ST50. Basically, different models focus on different markets. Maybe you get a un-proper model. It is better to understand whether the target server features meet your needs before get it. Not just buying a server, it might also apply on other product purchasing. The offcial web offers the product features, you can get it there. For example: ST50 is an entry level server ideal for small businesses, home offices, retail, educational institutions and branch offices. The web link of the product guide is here: https://lenovopress.com/lp0960-thinksystem-st50-server-e2100 https://lenovopress.com/lp1274-thinksystem-st50-server-e2200 You can also get other product guides from the above link. I believe there should be one model could meet your needs. And the higher the price, the better the quality of what you buy. Hope you can feel better now. Thanks. Karl
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms