cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 812

Question

I have noticed that ThinkVantage Update Retriever gathers and makes drivers and updates for individual components (like certain wifi cards) or version for OS other than what is installed on my particular systems.  I have multiple ThinkPads that are using version 4.03.0005 of Update Retriever.

Here are some examples where the content made available doesn't seem to match the system config:

On an R500 (2714-CTO) running Windows XP SP3, I am presented with a driver download for: “ThinkPad Device Experience for Windows 7, version 3.1”.  If I examine the package information, and select the Supported Systems tab, I am informed that this driver is for “2714 Windows XP English” which is incorrect, while the Details tab informs me that this driver is for: “Operating Systems:  Microsoft Windows 7”, which is correct. 

On an R500 (2714-CTO) running Windows XP SP3, I am presented with a driver download for: “WiMax driver for Intel cards (for XP)”.  If I examine the package information, and select the Supported Systems tab, I am informed that this driver is for “2714 Windows XP English”, which is incorrect, and if I select the Details tab, I notice that the R500 is not in the list of supported machines, nor is device for which this driver is being released, supported by my machine.

To summarize, “ThinkPad Device Experience for Windows 7, version 3.1” is being presented to Windows XP environments, while “WiMax driver for Intel cards” is being presented to machines that are not supported for that device and that driver. 

Why is this happening?

Answer

This is actually normal - Update Retriever is working as designed. 

The resulting examples noted occurs because content on the support site is not tagged down to a specific model level.  The content is tagged at the sub-series level (R500). 

So when you search on a machine type (2714) that is an R500, UR will return all the content for R500.  You will see content for components that may not be in your particular model of R500.  Thin Installer or TVSU are designed to use the UR repository and perform the detailed inspection to identify which content is applicable to your specific system.

Was this information helpful?