Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-16-2010

Hungary

6 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 11 of 20

Re: Manually removing the RRBackup folder

2010-09-16, 20:33 PM
Hi,

I was deleted the content of the folder by totalcommander.
Don't forget to turn on to show system files at TCMD settings.

Laci
Options

26 Posts

06-10-2010

London

35 Signins

281 Page Views

• Views: 281
  • Message 12 of 20

2010-09-29, 16:09 PM

wrote:

it´s not necessary to leave anything into this folder.

Start R&R and try to delete first the newest back up and then the other.

Why delete the newest one first? Naturally you want to delete the older backups and keep the new ones.

Unless it's because the backups are incremental and when you delete the old one it takes forever -- because it needs to go through every file and decide which one to keep and which to delete? This is my guess because deleting an older backup takes hours -- even longer than the time it takes to backup my full system. Can someone from Lenovo confirm if this is indeed the case?

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 13 of 20

2010-09-29, 18:52 PM

wrote:

Why delete the newest one first? Naturally you want to delete the older backups and keep the new ones.

Unless it's because the backups are incremental

The backups are incremental. Members have reported not being able to select and delete all backups in one "hit", receiving an error message that there wasn't enough capacity to delete the backups. Deleting the last backup first has been the solution in many cases.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

2 Posts

12-21-2012

Dublin

1 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 14 of 20

2012-12-21, 7:57 AM

I had very same problem and finally resolved it quite simply. Download and install SpaceSniffer which is a tool that allows you to see how your harddrive is being used / wasted. In fact using SpaceSniffer was the reason I discovered that RRBackups was taking up 40gb of space (which all dates to the first day I unboxed my machine 2 years ago).

Anyway SpaceSniffer will display every single folder and directory on your machine - and you can right-click to open any folder which appears on the SpaceSniffer interface. Right-click on the RRBackups folder and it opens normally in Windows explorer from where you can delete everything as you would normally. Problem solved.

Options

1 Posts

09-06-2013

Honolulu

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 15 of 20

2013-09-06, 1:59 AM

Download the program "TreeSize".

It will reveal the C:\RRbackups directory so you can explore it using its GUI interface.

You can delete any subdirectory, but not RRbackups itself.

Lenovo says to delete all the backups using the Lenovo utility.

But I had already deleted that program.

Hence I had no other way to delete the backups except manually this way.

Options

5067 Posts

11-22-2011

United States of America

5783 Signins

89698 Page Views

• Views: 89698
  • Message 16 of 20

2013-09-06, 2:36 AM

Grant your userid security access to \rrbackups folder. Covered in another post here.

properties>security tab/edit/ add your userid, delete aways. That is after control panel, folder options, show system files, show hidden files.

Options

1 Posts

03-28-2014

Toronto

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 17 of 20

2014-03-28, 17:12 PM

Hi, I know this thread is a few years old, but I'm still using my X61 bought in Aug 2008, and have just started using the Rescue and Recovery 4.1 program, (as well as the Windows Backup), but found I don't like the way Lenovo's R&R controls my computer and hides files.

I used R&R to delete my backups on an external disk, but Windows shows that I still have 14 GB used up in the RRBackup folder where I supposedly deleted all the backups.

I am using Acronis now for my Backups. Can I use the Acronis Boot media created on a USB to access annd delete these files on the external HDD? Or should I try the Safe Mode method mentioned earlier?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Options

5067 Posts

11-22-2011

United States of America

5783 Signins

89698 Page Views

• Message 18 of 20

2014-03-28, 18:07 PM

Follow these steps to give you security access  to the \RRbackups folder on the external HDD. Then delete the folder.

Between XP RNR and win7 RNR, the backup folder structure changed name wise.

xp: \RRbackups\SZ\ ***folders**

wn7:\RRbackups\SZ\*UUID of your machine*\SZ\**folders**.

.... This allows multiple machines to backup to the same External HDD.

To view the \RRbackups folder, do the following steps. IF you wanted to delete the old backups folder.  You probably got access denied.  After steps below, you will have to go into windows security on the folder and give group USERS full control on the folder, which will allow you to delete it.

====

How to view the \rrbackups folder.

go to control panel>folder options>view.  Make sure the show hidden files button is marked.

Also uncheck the Hide protected operating system files.  APPLY. You will get a POP up warning message.

\RRbackups is BOTH a hidden file and a protected operating system file.

\programdata appears to be Hidden, but NOT a protected operating system file.   This is just FYI.

Then look for folder \RRbackups. You should have 1 on the C drive, and 1 on the USB.

Your backups should be in D:\RRbackups\SZ\your uid\C     folder.

D:\RRbackups\SZ\your uid\C\0 is  base , D: \RRbackups\SZ\your uid\C\1 is  incremental 1.

If you try to peek in the folder, and  get  "access is denied", you will have to change windows security on the folder to allow you access to it. Otherwise PROPERTIES of the folder will show 0 bytes.

Windows security:

Right click the \RRbackups folder, PROPERTIES. Select the Security tab.

You will get a do you want to continue message? Continue.

You will see an entry for SYSTEM. Select the add button.

Enter object name field.

Just type USERS in the field. Apply.

You will now see the default access for users on the machine.

Apply. OK. OK.

Done.

You may want to UNDO the above if you want the folder back to ACCESS denied. Just go back thru secuity tab and remove group USERS.  ** Leave SYSTEM group alone

Options

1 Posts

02-07-2015

United States

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 19 of 20

2015-02-07, 19:57 PM

Remove the RRBackup folder manually. I was able to remove my RRBackup folder using these steps. http://techspeeder.com/2015/02/07/full-ssd-on-windows-7-lenovo-computer-with-very-few-files/

Options

5067 Posts

11-22-2011

United States of America

5783 Signins

89698 Page Views

• Message 20 of 20

2015-02-07, 23:44 PM

@tennisguy, thanks for the link, which I will comment on.  The user wrote very good documentation.

(1) The \rrbackups folder is a hidden file. Be it on the C drive, second HDD or usb.  Properties of the folder will show 0 bytes. The user did the unhide hidden folder.

(2)The user of the machine cannot PEEK inside the folder.  The user changed security.

(3)User had 75GB free space left on a 750GB SSD.

(4)User used different utilites  windirstat and spacesniffer with varying results.

User states: 

WinDirStat said there was only 180GB of the SSD used.

I right-clicked on the first folder and sure enough it held almost 200GB of data.

I browsed the folder and there were a bunch of worthless folders and files. I clicked the folder and hard deleted it

I then right-clicked on the second folder underneath RRbackups and sure enough this folder also had over 200GB of files

I then went to drive C using Windows Explorer, and sure enough I had just freed up around 400GB of space on the SSD.

(before user changed security,,, my guess Spacesniffer did the delete).  The user seemed to have two sets of backups within \RRbackups folder. Maybe 1 set without the UUID in the folder name; 2nd set with UUID in the folder name )

===

What the user did not detail was why RNR was eating up SSD space.

(1)If you uninstall RNR, the C drive \rrbackups folder will be deleted. \rrbackups on  second HDD and usb will remain.

My post above was directed to deleting  \rrbackups on second HDD or USB.

(2)The user zapped(deleted) all RNR backups on the C drive. Yes it freed up  SSD space. Not recommended.  What will the next run of RNR do?

==

Owner probably set max incrementals=32 and ran RNR backup daily.

The author of the link did a great job on documentation, without a total understanding of RNR backups.

===

Could you state where your \rrbackups folder was located (C, 2nd HDD,USB)., frequency of running RNR. etc

Did you use spacesniffer  to delete the \rrbackups folder  without changing security ?

I am just trying to give a better response to users of RNR who run out of free space.

I would never back up to the C drive ( Use second HDD or usb or dvd).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms