Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Punch Card
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Rescue and Recovery process before and after Windows 7 installation

Hello-

I have a new Thinkpad X200 with Vista Home Premium and three disk partitions (C, Q, and S). I am going to fresh-install Windows 7 on it (not the Lenovo upgrade kit). Before the installation, I want to do a backup of the Vista installation in a way that allows me to return to it if I, for example, sell the Thinkpad in the future. It does not need to be a "factory-fresh" backup, just a copy of the machine as it is now. This backup would be on one or more DVDs as needed. Once I have this backup, I would like to use the Win 7 version of R&R to make a backup onto the extra partition(s) it has now, replacing the factory-recovery data that is there now. Is this feasible?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Punch Card
0 Kudos

Re: Rescue and Recovery process before and after Windows 7 installation

[ Edited ]

I think I answered my own question, with some research and just trying things. The Q partition is only needed/worthwhile as a place to hold an original factory restore backup, as it is shipped. Maybe it could be used to hold a post-Windows-7 initial install backup, but it is probably not worth the trouble to do that.

Instead, I found out it is easy to delete the Q partition and add that space to the C partition-literally, it just takes a couple of mouse clicks when viewing the partitions in Windows Explorer. FIRST, though, I did both a complete system backup (which creates an as-updated copy of the C partition as well as the Q and S partitions, on a pile of DVD+R discs), then a "create factory recovery disc set", which also gives you copies of the C, Q, and S partitions but as they are received from the factory. With all of these DVD+Rs in hand, I combined the Q partition into the C partition as described above, then booted my full copy of Windows 7, reformatted the C partition, and installed/updated as desired. Done!