Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please noteour guidelines.How to register and login andCommunity FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

visit the blogCheck out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Punch Card
Accepted Solution

System update not working X220

According to the log this is where things go wrong:

Severe2011-08-29 , 11:20:31at Tvsu.Engine.Task.Task.StartExecution()Message: An error occurred while the task: ApplicableUpdatesTask executed the process: HelpCenterQuestProcessthe message from exception isQuest is denied for non-Lenovo systems.Exception:Message: Quest is denied for non-Lenovo systems.Type: Tvsu.Engine.Process.HelpCenterServiceDisableException   at Tvsu.Engine.Task.Task.Start()   at Tvsu.Engine.Task.Task.StartExecution()
Info2011-08-29 , 11:20:31at Tvsu.Gui.CustomComponents.Step.set_Image(StepImage value)Message: Setting FAILED status.
Info2011-08-29 , 11:20:31at Tvsu.Gui.GUIController.ShowErrorMessage(Exception e)Message: Contact Quest is disabled.Exception:Message: Quest is denied for non-Lenovo systems.Type: Tvsu.Engine.Process.HelpCenterServiceDisableException   at Tvsu.Engine.Task.Task.StartExecution()   at Tvsu.Sdk.SuSdk.GetApplicableUpdates(searchingFolderDelegate spd, showErrMsgDelegate sed)   at Tvsu.Gui.Util.ProgressThread.InitSearch()
Info2011-08-29 , 11:20:31at Tvsu.Gui.FlowScreens.Messages.ShowMessage(String message, String title, String mastheadtext, MessageType t, Boolean check, IWin32Window owner)Message: Showing ERROR Message: < The System Update Server is currently unavailable. Please try again later. >

"Quest is denied for non-Lenovo systems." Obviously, for some reason, it doesn't recognize my system as a Lenovo system. Why, and what can I do to change this? :/

Lenovo Staff

Re: System update not working X220

What version of TVSU are you running?  If it is not v4.01, I would suggest downloading it from here and installing it manaully.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=TVSU-UPDATE

Punch Card

I am using the 4.01-version. I've tried to reinstall it multiple times, aswell as doing a registry clean in between. Besides Power manager and Communications utility, I don't have any other Thinkvantage technology installed. Is there anything else I need for System update to work?

Highlighted
Paper Tape

Ah.. glad someone else has posted this.. although I am sorry it's broken for you also..

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit on a T420. After setting compatibility to XP SystemUpdate runs but then fails with the same error... Apparently my laptop was not made by Lenovo either !

Can we have a fix please ?

Info 2011-09-02 , 06:07:51
 at Tvsu.Engine.Task.Task.Start()

Severe 2011-09-02 , 06:07:51
 at Tvsu.Engine.Task.Task.StartExecution()
 Message: An error occurred while the task: ApplicableUpdatesTask executed the process: HelpCenterQuestProcessthe message from exception isQuest is denied for non-Lenovo systems.
 Exception:
  Type: Tvsu.Engine.Process.HelpCenterServiceDisableException
     at Tvsu.Engine.Task.Task.Start()

at Tvsu.Gui.CustomComponents.Step.set_Image(StepImage value)

at Tvsu.Gui.GUIController.ShowErrorMessage(Exception e)
 Exception:
  Type: Tvsu.Engine.Process.HelpCenterServiceDisableException
   at Tvsu.Sdk.SuSdk.GetApplicableUpdates(searchingFolderDelegate spd, showErrMsgDelegate sed)
   at Tvsu.Gui.Util.ProgressThread.InitSearch()

at Tvsu.Gui.FlowScreens.Messages.ShowMessage(String message, String title, String mastheadtext, MessageType t, Boolean check, IWin32Window owner)
 Message: Showing ERROR Message: < The System Update Server is currently unavailable. Please try again later. >

Paper Tape

Looks to me like one of the IA queries is failing.

IA.EXE runs fine by itself with rc=0 but I suspect a specific query is being passed to IA that's coming back invalid.

i.e. C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\egather\IA.EXE -query ??

I see IA flash up quickly in the process list just before TVSU fails.

Just a thought...

Paul.

Lenovo Staff

nicbex wrote:

I am using the 4.01-version. I've tried to reinstall it multiple times, aswell as doing a registry clean in between. Besides Power manager and Communications utility, I don't have any other Thinkvantage technology installed. Is there anything else I need for System update to work?

The only other dependency I can think of is .Net.  What version of .Net do you have?

Punch Card

I have .NET framework 4 Client Profile. I tried installing the extended .NET 4 but that didn't change anything.

Paper Tape

[ Edited ]

Can someone, i.e. Lenovo support please help with this thread ?

So IA.EXE is running with the following command syntax. It is gathering Local and System Summary and placing it into the file sysrecomin.xml. This all appears valid and shows a valid Lenovo system. I'm assuming this is sent to the TVSU Server which then comes back as invalid/disallowed. Can someone please look into this. This is occurring on more than one systemtype.

Logs Attached :-

Info 2011-09-06 , 09:38:07
 at Tvsu.Service.Common.CommandExecutor.Executor.ExecuteCommand(String dir, String cmd, String args, String _installType, Int64 timeOut, Boolean hide)
 Message: C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\egather\ ia.exe -filename"C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\egather\sysrecomin" -probes REGIONAL_SETTINGS GATHERER_INFORMATION SYSTEM_SUMMARY -local COMMAND 300000

Info 2011-09-06 , 09:38:07
 at Tvsu.Service.Common.CommandExecutor.Executor.ExecuteCommand(String dir, String cmd, String args, String _installType, Int64 timeOut, Boolean hide)

Info 2011-09-06 , 09:38:09

Info 2011-09-06 , 09:38:09
 at Tvsu.Service.Client.CommandLauncher.ExecuteCommandLine(String command)

Lenovo Staff

This run of IA.exe is not the way TVSU detects if the system is a Lenovo system.  We read a special location within SMBIOS data structures.  Are you using an X220 like the OP? 

Paper Tape

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm running on the following :-

Lenovo T420

Windows 7 32bit

4GB RAM

.NET 3.0, .NET 3.5 & .NET 4.0