cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 5,593

Lenovo’s 30 Day Standby is a power management feature supported by Lenovo Settings in Windows 8/ 8.1/ 10 and Power Manager in Windows 7.

When enabled, the apps automatically change the computer power state according to the system and its configuration:

1. If the computer and its configuration support Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology (also known as iRST, or iFFS), the apps will put the computer into the iRST deep sleep state after the specified period of time (default of 3 hours) has passed
  2. If the computer or its configuration does not support iRST, the apps will put the computer into hibernation state after the specified sleep state duration expires, and then wake the system into sleep in advance of anticipated use. This function requires the apps to start learning sleep and resume action, which takes several months before it can take effect. Note that the sleep transition will not occur when the apps predict the user will wake up the computer that day (e.g. such as a business system used primarily on weekdays)

How can I determine if my computer supports 30 Day Standby, and how does it work?

If you find the 30 Day Standby menu in Lenovo Settings or Power Manager, your machine supports the feature.

You can check the system's capability for iRST using the BIOS Setup Utility -> Press F1 at startup, go to Config, Power, and see if "Intel (R) Rapid Start Technology" is available.

IRST.jpg

To run iRST, in addition to the system capability, you need a partition in an SSD dedicated for the feature. Most Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 ThinkPad notebooks shipped with an SSD preconfigured with the partition.

Please note that Lenovo doesn’t configure the partition for Windows 10 pre-installed machines. On systems running Windows 10, 30 Day Standby works as described as described in the second point above.

My computer does not look like it enters a low power sleep state. How can I save power during sleep?

If the power scheme running has values in "Hibernate after" (i.e. not set as "Never". Verify settings in Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced settings -> Sleep), the setting precedes Lenovo’s 30 Day Standby and the computer can be put into hibernation after a specified period of time, regardless of iRST capability or the apps' learning progress.

Power Options.jpg

If my system is running Windows 10, do I need to use 30 Day Standby?

Lenovo enabled the hibernation timeout setting in Power Options for Windows 10 preinstalled machines shipped from Spring 2016. As Windows 10 computers wake up from hibernation considerably faster than Windows 7, Lenovo will terminate 30 Day Standby on future products. Lenovo advises customers to use the hibernation timeout provided by Windows 10 instead.

Was this information helpful?

Contributors